2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Interchange 97 Dak 3.9 engine

Old 07-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Interchange 97 Dak 3.9 engine

Sorry folks I couldn't get the edit to work completely so I am doing a redo... I need to simply know if I can put a trans from a 5.2, 97 Ram 1500 which I believe is a 46RE behind a 3.9 where there was a 42re. It is the SLT Extended 2dr 4X4 I understand they will bolt up but is there anything else I need to do besides the plug ends... That is IF this will work..

Last edited by Preacher Rob; 07-08-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

It should bolt right in, and hook right up. If they are close in year, even the connectors may be the same. Keep in mind, internal electronics changed in 2000 though....

Old 07-25-2018, 10:33 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

I got my trans and even a Transfer case from the 98 Durango and will be setting it all in this week. I am thinking I should measure the length of each to make sure I don't need to use the Dak transfer case. I was told I can use the one from the Durango.. All of the shiftier mounts and linkage is the same so does anyone know for sure if there is a length difference? it is a 1997 Dakota Slt Extended cab that I want to swap the trans from a 98 Durango SLT I guess it would be best to lay them side by side for a length comparison ...

Old 07-25-2018, 10:44 PM
dakootie
Rookie

The 46 RE will work behind your 97 Dakota with the 3.9 engine, the differences between the regular and extended cab are in the driveshaft the extended cab uses a two piece with a steady bearing.

The transmission case is the same length, your 46RE will have more frictions in the overdrive.

Last edited by dakootie; 07-25-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:51 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

My Dak 4x4 is a single shaft from the transfer to the rear dif.. so I am reading it should all fit.. I will be so glad for the trans to shift properly.. Thanks everyone I will fill you all in when I get her done.. God Bless!!

Old 07-26-2018, 01:11 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Hi folks I have one quick question if any of you fine folks have an answer. The dip stick tube the Durango I got it from the thing was smashed up about 6 inches. Since I am going to go from a 42RE to a 46RE which has what seems a deeper pan shouldn't I change that over as well?? I am thinking a 1500 with a 5.2 should be the right length should it not... I am sorry it is just these things don't always come to me all at the same time..

Old 07-26-2018, 01:38 PM
dakootie
Rookie

Originally Posted by Preacher Rob
Hi folks I have one quick question if any of you fine folks have an answer. The dip stick tube the Durango I got it from the thing was smashed up about 6 inches. Since I am going to go from a 42RE to a 46RE which has what seems a deeper pan shouldn't I change that over as well?? I am thinking a 1500 with a 5.2 should be the right length should it not... I am sorry it is just these things don't always come to me all at the same time..
Fluid level, your only measuring the top half. The dipstick tube from the 5.2 will not bolt onto your 3.9 so you'll use the one from the 42RE instead.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:55 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Whew Thank You!!

Old 08-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Hi Folks! Well I got the trans in and I am not sure what is wrong with it. It doesn't slip but the shifting is out of wack. It will shift from 1-2 then it wants to do a short shift then into 3rd then I think 4th. All I know is the rpms are like 3000 at 65 so knowing that seems way to high I thought I would better ask those who know. I figured I would have to go inside again and possibly do the Gov and sensor and I am thinking the whole harness with Gov, Solenoid and lock out solenoid and harness may be part of my future... Also I am seeing that this may have been a 44RE trans it says it was a factory rebuild 6/15/08 so it says on the tag I ??Think?? A500/518 will look again but it is a newer built trans.. Can anyone also tell me if they have ever had a TV cable stretch? I am kind in a mess here but I know it will be all good. Any help will be a blessing ... God Bless

Last edited by Preacher Rob; 08-03-2018 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Just clicked out to quick..
Old 08-03-2018, 05:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Cable can stretch, but, that's easy to compensate for. So long as it moves freely, it's fixable. Just make sure there isn't any slack in the cable. (nor is it pulling to tight.)

What year was the donor truck?

You can test the electronics by simply unplugging the trans, and go for a SHORT drive. You won't have ANY automatic function. You will have to start in first, and up/downshift as necessary. If it shifts into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, then the mechanicals are fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Interchange 97 Dak 3.9 engine