2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Interchange 97 Dak 3.9 engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 06:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

You could check TV cable adjustment, and verify it is correct. That's free. I would be tempted to plug a scanner into it, and see what the output speed sensor was telling the pcm before replacing it... if it gives erroneous readings, then yeah, time for a new one. If it reads correct, then you will need to look elsewhere for the problem.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:32 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well in short I am just totally disgusted. I feel like I am on a never ending merry go round. After all I have done I do a little work on my truck like checking the plugs and wires ..it had a miss. Found and fixed that so I took a drive and now it won't go into lock up again. Could I need to replace the outer plug ( 8 Pin ) as well I read somewhere that can cause problems as well...

Old 08-23-2018, 08:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Inspect it. Generally, if it has a problem, it's obvious. (bare wires, and such.) Are you setting any trans codes? Got a scanner that can read live data??

Old 08-23-2018, 09:17 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Well I know the clips are gone they were when I did the trans and I plan on doing the splice in new plug because I don't like missing clips. I had mine guy at the Auto Zone check it but I don't know a lot about that. Didn't get anything except missfire cyl #1 nothing from the trans..

Old 08-23-2018, 09:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well that's odd. If things aren't working right, I would like to think the PCM would notice....... The plug not having the clips anymore *may* be an issue. If it isn't making good contact.... things get weird. But, again, I would like to think the PCM would notice, and complain about it......

Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Come to think of it I am experiencing some weird stuff else where to so I may start looking for a PCM to see if that is messing me up.. I am going to get My friend that has the Garage to plug it in and see if that shows up then I trust him more.. Oh and the check engine light is on and I fixed all the other stuff and cleared the puter and the light came right back on.. Was just talking to another Trans mechanic and he is saying I may need to switch the Valve body from my old one to get it to shift right and do the lock up over drive..

Last edited by Preacher Rob; 08-23-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Interchange 97 Dak 3.9 engine