2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck stalls out when put in reverse. Parts replaced.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:21 PM
Bliggity
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck stalls out when put in reverse. Parts replaced.....

I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota 3.9 2WD automatic with 155K miles. I have researched my stalling issue like crazy and have found quite a bit but nothing thats helped. The truck will stall out when I put it in reverse. If I shift into reverse when engine is "cold" the truck is perfect and acts great. Once the idle drops to normal, about 30 secs, it will stall out. I can technically keep it running by fluttering the throttle. I have replaced the idle air control valve and crank position sensor. No change after parts were replaced. Trans fluid is clean and full. When driving the truck on forward gears it shifts PERFECTLY. Solid as a rock with zero slip etc. Shift points are great too. I had the truck on an alignment rack and had the technician lift the back wheels off the ground via the diff. When I shift into reverse the truck does not stall, not even a thought. Idle stays strong and is perfect. This leads me to believe it's the torque converter from my research but scared it could be a transmission too. At this point it's over my head.

Thanks in advanced!

Old 11-16-2018, 09:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Will it do the same thing when the engine is fully warm? Does it do it shifting into drive? When it does stall, does it just shut down immediately, or does it sputter, then die? Last time the truck had a tune up? What brand crank sensor??

Old 11-16-2018, 11:16 PM
Bliggity

Great questions. It always happens once the engine is warmed up. It never even bogs down in drive, perfect. For the most part it shuts down immediately when I put it in reverse. 1-10 times its bogs super hard and the engine is on the brink of stalling. Happens for about 10-20 secs and then dies. Unsure on last tune up as I just bought the truck. Oil has been up to date as well as engine air. I don’t know about plugs. No fault codes. It doesn’t quite get to half temp on the coolant. Sensor was replaced with an aftermarket BWD. It acts the exact same from old crank sensor and new.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Disconnect the front O2 sensor. Drive it for a while. See if the problem disappears.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:25 AM
Bliggity

I unplugged the front O2 sensor. I didn’t go for a drive but I let the truck sit and idle for around 10 mins to warm up. Still stalls when going in reverse. I took a video to demonstrate the symptoms.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What brand IAC did you install? I had real problems with the aftermarket fellers, installed a genuine mopar unit, and problems disappeared.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Bliggity

I am unsure the brand of the IAC. It was replaced prior to my ownership. The previous owner stated the part was replaced to correct the stalling in reverse issue. It seems like when I shift quickly into reverse it almost always shuts off. When I shift slowly like I did in the video one time it hangs on somethings with just a funky idle.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would be tempted to check it, see if it is a mopar part, if not, replace it, and clean the throttle body again.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this happen twice to me in the many years owning the truck (3.9L 1998). One time it was the crank sensor and I did have to replace it twice to get a good one. The latest time I had stalling in reverse it was the alternator. It was working fine according to a voltmeter hooked up however, I did notice at times the voltage was dropping to 12.3 Volts running. This is not normal as it's around 13.8VDC most of the time depending on the load in the truck. I drive over to auto store watching the volts and they are at 13.8 (normal), restarted the truck and 12.4VDC. Their equipment told me the alternator was bad. Also check battery connections which are the easiest thing to get out of the way. Sometimes it's just overlooked. From your post it seems like when it's not under a load it doesn't stall, another reason to check you charging system. Hope of some help.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:32 PM
Bliggity

Small but not a good update. I found the receipt to the recently replaced IAC under previous ownership. They only paid $50 for a new sensor so I went to Dodge and bought a new OEM IAC. Truck still stalls/ idles down very hard if it happens to not stall. I need to run a battery and alternator test which should happen tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Truck stalls out when put in reverse. Parts replaced.....