2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

This Old Hub question. Timken vs SKF

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 08:57 AM
XSubaruJeepDude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This Old Hub question. Timken vs SKF

Ok ive been trying to research these two hub assemblies but i am constantly getting conflicting specs and info.
Do both Timken and SKF use tapered roller bearings or ball bearings? One website will say one thing and another website will say the other.
Additional questions
Does Timken still use a poly cage??
Has anyone ever removed the seal and repacked a bran new hub?
Does packing the bearing with a needle grease fitting make the seal useless?
And finally
Is buying a MOPAR hub assembly worth the double cost? Will i get twice the life compared to after market hubs?
(On a side note:
I recently read a post from a endurance racer who felt that the after market hub bearings did not come with enough grease packing and his personal experience was that he would get more laps when he would repack the new bearings before installing them. )
Additional info: factory hubs were changed at 124k with nonames. 10k miles later nonames are failing.

Last edited by XSubaruJeepDude; 11-21-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:54 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

My understanding is that SKF, is or was, the OEM supplier back when.

I wouldn't bother trying to grease a sealed bearing. You really can't do it properly with a needle and can damage the seals. It's not just a matter of injecting grease. You also need to make sure whatever grease you use is compatible with what is already in the bearing.

How long did your current bearing last???

Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Im going to assume this is for a 2nd gen Dakota

Both Timken and SKF are what you want but a no name will work I guess it depends on your environment. I have 1 Timken and 1 no name I have no problems with either but I live in Arizona the cheap hubs may not like the rust belt zone. These hubs all of them are sealed units no lubrication can be applied.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:16 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

As far as I know, SKF and Timken are both equal in quality department. I couldn't tell you which brand I have on mine.

Quick Reply: This Old Hub question. Timken vs SKF