2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

PCM cycling after battery disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:01 PM
westin
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be lying if I told you guys this truck was not making me crazy. Didnt realize that my choice of file name would be visible. Changed it so that no one gets upset.

So now that we know its the O2 monitor that needs to be "ready", how do I get to that point? I have driven the truck in many similar ways to what I have read about drive cycle in particular to this truck. And as of yesterday I have driven over 500 miles since. The AutoZone code reader did not pickup ANY codes when I had it checked the other day. Dont know what reader they use, but would be surprised if it didnt pick up an issue.

PS: Thanks for the replies all! Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2019, 12:40 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

could not find the drive cycle requirements for the 02 sensors in the service manual. I will keep looking.
Are the o2 heater monitors running and passing? They will need to run first, then the 02 monitors and then the cat monitors.
if you go into I/M monitors with a scan tool, you can see the state of each monitor.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:57 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
could not find the drive cycle requirements for the 02 sensors in the service manual. I will keep looking.
Are the o2 heater monitors running and passing? They will need to run first, then the 02 monitors and then the cat monitors.
if you go into I/M monitors with a scan tool, you can see the state of each monitor.
This goes back to the scan tool I posted, which is affordable and quite useful for chasing down the monitors. Here in Texas, all 9 monitors are listed at the bottom of the inspection report, and 00- passes with 2 not ready and 01+ passes with 1 not ready.

I assume that since O2H was not listed, that it's mode is ready...usually O2S will go ready 1 or 2 cycles after O2H.

Now I will propose this question, because JTEC is unpredictable. What has the warmest ambient COLD START been? While unlikely, I could see JTEC throwing fits on readiness if it has not seen a warm weather cold start on the fuel trims.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:29 AM
westin
Amateur

Thanks for the in depth reply. I would be really surprised if my mech did not know this. The weather here since mid december has been very up and down. Some days cold start around 35 degrees, some days in the 40's. I just cant imagine that I haven't driven it enough or have not gone thru several drive cycles for it to pass. I do have a feeling that on the last try, my mech may rolled it into his shop cold and plugged it in without bringing it up to temp. I wont know until I get it back to him and he can read its current state.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:16 AM
westin
Amateur

I decided to paste what I found today. I tried this and the check engine stayed on without flashing. Can I count on this?

"For Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge
The owner’s manual states that the vehicle has a simple ignition key actuated test, which you can use prior to going to the test station. To check if your vehicle’s OBD II system is ready, you must do the following:
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position, but do not crank or start the engine. If you crank or start the engine, you will have to start this test over.
  2. As soon as you turn the ignition switch to the ON position, you will see the MIL (Check Engine Light) symbol come on as part of a normal bulb check.
  3. Approximately 15 seconds later, one of two things will happen:
    1. The MIL will flash for about 10 seconds and then return to being fully illuminated until you turn OFF the ignition or start the engine. This means that your vehicle’s OBD II system is not ready and you should not proceed to the smog check station.
    2. The MIL will not flash at all and will remain fully illuminated until you turn OFF the ignition or start the engine. This means that your vehicle’s OBD II system is ready and you can proceed to the smog check station."
Thanks again for your help!

Old 01-02-2019, 12:13 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by westin
I decided to paste what I found today. I tried this and the check engine stayed on without flashing. Can I count on this?

"For Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge
The owner’s manual states that the vehicle has a simple ignition key actuated test, which you can use prior to going to the test station. To check if your vehicle’s OBD II system is ready, you must do the following:
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position, but do not crank or start the engine. If you crank or start the engine, you will have to start this test over.
  2. As soon as you turn the ignition switch to the ON position, you will see the MIL (Check Engine Light) symbol come on as part of a normal bulb check.
  3. Approximately 15 seconds later, one of two things will happen:
    1. The MIL will flash for about 10 seconds and then return to being fully illuminated until you turn OFF the ignition or start the engine. This means that your vehicle’s OBD II system is not ready and you should not proceed to the smog check station.
    2. The MIL will not flash at all and will remain fully illuminated until you turn OFF the ignition or start the engine. This means that your vehicle’s OBD II system is ready and you can proceed to the smog check station."
Thanks again for your help!
never heard of that trick. Are they charging you when you fail? You should have 60 days for unlimited test after failure. But IDK about your state

Old 01-04-2019, 09:40 AM
westin
Amateur

Im trying to get to the inspection station after work today. Cant wait to see if that ignition trick works!
I live in NY (unfortunately) so its a one time $37 yearly fee w/ 10 day extension. Cant wait to leave this year. Btw, how much is an inspection in TX? Is it yearly as well?

Old 01-04-2019, 11:19 AM
magnethead
Legend

Same, $37.50 for annual emissions inspection. Low population counties are 4 corner lights only for $10, high population counties have to go through the emissions OBD2 check.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

Out east, it costs $9 annually, all they do is check to make sure you have a cat and OBD2 test for codes. They only fail you for 3+ not ready monitors, or if the check engine is lit (they don't fail for pending codes, just set).

Old 01-07-2019, 05:34 PM
westin
Amateur

My truck finally passed inspection today. So it appears that the above "ignition check" does in fact work. Thanks to all for the replies and help.

Quick Reply: PCM cycling after battery disconnect?