2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Grinding when turning left

Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Just a cautionary note...If it was out-of-line with the trans mount MIA, then you might want to take a peek at those engine mounts too... IJS

Old 02-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
Just a cautionary note...If it was out-of-line with the trans mount MIA, then you might want to take a peek at those engine mounts too... IJS
Glanced at what I could of the passenger mount, it looked fine. Rubber was smooth and no cracks, but didn't get to really inspect it, I'll have to get my endoscope to actually get into engine bay to look at it. Didn't get a look at the driver side, too much stuff in the way. Maybe I'll get lucky and when the previous owners put an engine in, they dropped new motor mounts as well.

Otherwise, it SEEMS to have been the problem. The cheapest/relatively easiest solution was the fix. Did a test drive during break at work, doing some hard lefts, then all the way home with no vibration/noise. I do wish I would have gotten a good recording to help others identify if it happens to them. Ah well, I'm sure my truck appreciates everything I've done.

Log of the Adventure:
Parts changed:
1: Front Wheel Hubs L/R - Timkins
2: Front Rotors L/R - Nakamoto
3: Front Brake Pads - Wearever Gold
4: Rear Brake Kit - Carlson
5: Rear Brake Shoes - Wearever Gold
6: Rear Axle Bearings L/R - SKF
7: Rear Diff 75W-90 Full Synthetic Oil Change
8: Front Shock Absorbers L/R - KYB
9: Transmission Mount (SOLUTION) - SKP

ToDo:
1: Rear Shocks
2: Check Motor Mounts
3: Rear Brake Drums
4: Bump stops

Anyone have a picture and possibly part number for the rear bump stops on a RWD? My truck appears to have none on the frame rail, and I'm missing the passenger side on the front. I've found Mopar replacements for the fronts, but I want to doublecheck the back before buying any. After this list is complete, my suspension an driveline should be pretty much a-ok.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding when turning left