2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:20 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So Just wanting to confirm if anyone can tell me for sure if the transmission marked as "RFE" would be the same as the 45RFE, they look identical in every way but the tag information; even the control mod inside looks the same; and currently in the existing transmission being used as the old one was bad and in limp mode.

Current transmission slipps in 3rd if your getting on it will move but slipping. Other wise it does not feel like its shifting into 3rd you get just rpm and nothing behind it. wanting to swap to this transmission until i can get mine rebuilt.

Here is the data sheet in the glove box for the truck:

45RFE thats in the truck now:

'RFE' Transmission that was pulled from another truck or Jeep (Just dont know what model)

When i search the number off the P52119099AD it just comes up as 45RFE / 545RFE in Google; whereas the other one that's on the truck does not return nothing. Just needing to know if it should be ok to use this transmission listed above - P52119099AD in a 2000 4.7L w/ 45RFE 'MultiSpeed' transmission code before i waste the time doing the work.

Thanks again anyone that can chime in.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:53 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Not got to this yet hoefully soon.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:56 AM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Id try another shift solenoid...,Kits usually have those an that spring in them too ,as in pic
Not sure this factors it but the huge 4 inch spring in my valve body broke [very common]so its a good idea to check that too

Last edited by hidden1; 02-09-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:34 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

That looks like the 44re , these are the 45rfe multispeeds

Old 02-10-2019, 11:44 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yours should still have the sensors/governor,etc. ,may look different .

Old 02-14-2019, 06:00 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Yes it has a solenoid on the big 500.00 control module. This one is good; its what got it out of being a boat anchor... now just 3rd and 4th slip bad... there are shavings so i know for sure the bands; gears or clutch are toast.

I have this one in the back of the truck that was pulled from junk yard supposedly compatible just trying to make sure was going to stick this one until i could get to rebuild the original one. Does not seem to be as many Dak owners on forums as there once were a few years back.. guess folks upgrading to newer stuff lol

Old 09-12-2019, 12:04 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

So just wanted to circle back around on this post; I got the replacement transmission in and it's working fine! WOOT WOOT

Shop only charged me 375 to swap them out got really lucky although they took their sweet as time. I also had them do the leaking freeze plugs on the back of the engine for a few bucks more.

The one i put in was for sure out of some kind of Jeep or something as the Transfer case was a lot longer i just used the one that was on the truck. Also it turns out the transmission is newer as someone said; but also its what call the "MultiSpeed" or 545 RFE supposedly the upgraded version where they supposedly fixed some of the defects of the early 45RFE's The control mod is also the upgraded one supposedly.

Anyways I got lots to do on this truck but for now that's one MAJOR thing i can cross off my list.

Quick Reply: Transmission stuff