2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Heating

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 04:58 PM
Boucher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heating

I have a dodge dakota 2002 v6 3.9L. I have some problem with my heating, when i'm at a higher speed, like about 50km/h, it all work fine, but when i'm stopped or at a low speed, there's still air coming out but it is cold. I've cheked the engine oil and coolant. What can it be?

Old 02-04-2019, 05:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Low coolant, air pocket in the heater core, failing water pump, clog somewhere in the system, among a selection of other possibilities.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:14 PM
Boucher

I've cheked my coolant and it's fine. What would be the most likely?

Old 02-04-2019, 05:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Too many variables.

If you are just sitting in park, does it do the same thing? Cold at idle, give it a bit of gas, and it gets warm? Any work been done on it lately?

Old 02-04-2019, 05:30 PM
Boucher

Yes it does the same thing on park and if i give a bit of gas it doesn't get warm. No work have been done on it lately. I've cheked a bit online and maybe it could be the thermostat? I'm no expert so i really don't know.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If the engine gets up to operating temp, the thermostat is doing its job.

So, sitting still, in park, there is no heat, and if you idle the engine up to 1500 RPM or so, it STILL doesn't get warm??

Old 02-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Skreelink
Veteran

My 98 3.9 was doing the same thing. Disconnected the heater hoses, drained it some, and put some blue devil radiator flush in the heater core only (under half a bottle). After ten to twenty minutes, give it a good, but gentle backflush. Helped mine heat much better. Heater core might be partially clogged, so it's not flowing enough water unless the pump is moving faster.

Edit: You will have to burp it after draining the heater core. Park nose up on a hill, the highest angle you can with the radiator cap off and bring it up to temp temp to try moving any air out of the heater core.

Last edited by Skreelink; 02-05-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skreelink
My 98 3.9 was doing the same thing. Disconnected the heater hoses, drained it some, and put some blue devil radiator flush in the heater core only (under half a bottle). After ten to twenty minutes, give it a good, but gentle backflush. Helped mine heat much better. Heater core might be partially clogged, so it's not flowing enough water unless the pump is moving faster.

Edit: You will have to burp it after draining the heater core. Park nose up on a hill, the highest angle you can with the radiator cap off and bring it up to temp temp to try moving any air out of the heater core.
+1

you could also start by just burping the radiator alone to see if that works before going through the hassle of flushing stuff.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Boucher

The problem is my radiator, there's something broke in it, i have to change it.

Thank you for your advice!

Quick Reply: Heating