2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 dodge dakota 4.7L spit and sputtering and loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Joseph Sukel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 dodge dakota 4.7L spit and sputtering and loss of power

Hello I'm new here and I'm about to take this truck to the junk yard because I dont know what else to do. It runs great till it gets up to operating temp then it just starts splitting and sputtering and backfiring like say I got it warmed up and I'm in park and I rev it up to 2500-3000 rmps I'll keep the gas pedal in the same position but it will spit and sputter down to almost nothing then go back up then go back down if I try to give it more gas it does nothing but backfire till I let off the gas. I have 3 codes cylinder 5 misfire cylinder 6 misfire and random misfire. I have changed the cam sensor the crank sensor the tps sensor all of the spark plugs and coil packs I've tested the fuel pressure before it warms up and while its acting up and it's getting plenty of fuel. Ive cleaned the throttle body and the injectors. I tested the injectors they are all good. I'm just done trying to figure this out myself and autozone knows nothing and the dodge dealership is no help they are always "out to lunch " or not there so here I am. Anything helps thanks.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Joseph Sukel

I might try the upstream 02 sensor next but while it sits I'm going to paint it black

Old 04-16-2019, 04:21 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yea 02 can factor it..try unplugging it an see what it does ..never use bosch.
Yea i had issues with mine an miafire codes.
I replaced plugs ,wires,cap rotor button ,cleaned up IAC used seafoam in upper intake ,tank an oil an its doing better now ..
Tested the power to injectors an tested ohms too.

Ive heard tempt sensor can factor it or fuel pump
failing..
Maybe rent scan tool an monitor short an long term fuel trim an 02 sensor too..
Im curious what it is also.
Seems common on these trucks

Old 04-16-2019, 04:42 PM
Joseph Sukel

Yeah I ohm tested the I injectors too and they all came back almost the same I'm going to try unplugging the O2 sensors tomorrow morning and see how that goes then probably going to change the upstream but I've been trying to figure it out for 3 months and I love this truck never had a problem with it till now and I'm going to finish painting it black this weekend since I started to then all of this happened thanks for replying I didn't think anyone would haha

Old 04-17-2019, 01:32 PM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have access to a scanner that can show you real time/live data?? I don't know about yours but the O'Reileys around here let's you borrow a scanner that can show live data.
It helped with figuring out problems before for me because I could see which sensor was giving really strange readings, or simply no reading at all.
Also... What was the fuel pressure?? Maybe it gets too much..?? I have never heard of that problem with a fuel injected motor personally, but it's just an idea.

Last edited by Zingo; 04-17-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Joseph Sukel

Well the O'Reillys here just opened about a month ago and they have nothing but i have an autozone and they have one you can use but u cant leave the parking lot with it and I cant deive it more than 7 miles down the road or I'll be sitting till it starts up again and makes it another mile or 2 but barely has any power because it will just spit and sputter till it cools down completely but I'm going to try that this weekend when I dont have work I'll keep you guys updated thank you

Old 04-17-2019, 01:46 PM
hidden1
Captain

I found a very upgraded scanner in my auto zone for rental.Innova 3300 series i think..not all stores have the same ones
that you can take home so find the best one.
Check around.
The ELM tool i use is great too..google Elm obd2.
Your phone an a free app with it tells a lot but not as much as the scanner i rented..
I monitored my 02s with either

one

Last edited by hidden1; 04-17-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:35 PM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have one of those Bluetooth scanners too it works great!

The following users liked this post:
Goofy1 (02-19-2024)
Old 04-17-2019, 03:55 PM
hidden1
Captain

Which free app do you use?
I want one that has more live data than current one has

Old 04-18-2019, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I haven't found a decent Free app, that actually shows all the data I want.......

Quick Reply: 2002 dodge dakota 4.7L spit and sputtering and loss of power