2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Turn signal and flasher not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 06:20 PM
pyrdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal and flasher not working

2003 dakota Right rear turn signal and flasher not working swapped out bulb and socket but still nothing.... right front works but is rapid. Does flasher relay control turn signal as well as flasher? Thanks!

Old 06-28-2019, 10:14 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

does the brake light work? Did this happen all of a sudden?

Old 06-28-2019, 10:19 PM
pyrdog

Yes happened all of sudden. Didn't try to see if brake light is working i will check tomorrow and get back to you thanks!

Old 06-29-2019, 12:12 AM
magnethead
Legend

If the brake and reverse lights do not work either, then look at the chassis-to-body electrical junction. It's fastened to the chassis right next to the rear bumper mount.

If the brake and revers elights work, but hazard and turn signal do not, then I would be inclined to think a failed combination flasher.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:08 PM
pyrdog

Ok so the tail lights work but no brake light on right... so everything works except right turn signal, flasher and brake.... checked connector it's conected. Just reread your reply and I did not check reverse .... I'm the only one here so will check reverse lights tomorrow when my wife comes home thanks

Last edited by pyrdog; 06-29-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:19 PM
pyrdog

Ok so i was able to check reverse lights.... so everything works except right turn signal, flasher and brake. Thanks

Old 06-29-2019, 04:28 PM
magnethead
Legend

The left and right tail lights and the license plate lamp all share a common ground.

Black and Yellow goes to the running/parking lamp circuit relay in the junction block (driver side of dash)

Green/Brown wires convert to Green/Red (left) and Brown/Red (right) then go directly to the combination flasher's respective left and right turn signal outputs.

So either there's still something funky in Connector number 360 there in the frame rail/bumper area, or the combination flasher has died.

The brake lamp switch feeds an input to the combination flasher. The flasher controls both the turn signals and the brake lights, since both functions use the same filament in the bulb.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:50 PM
pyrdog

Thank you so much! I'm going to try the combination flasher first... problem is I can't find it... I looked under the dash and under the hood I believe it's under the dash but must be looking in the wrong area... any idea where thanks again your guys are awesome!

Old 07-02-2019, 11:58 PM
pyrdog

Also is it a square box with 5 male conectors blue or black also called flasher relay? Thanks!

Old 07-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by pyrdog
Thank you so much! I'm going to try the combination flasher first... problem is I can't find it... I looked under the dash and under the hood I believe it's under the dash but must be looking in the wrong area... any idea where thanks again your guys are awesome!
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...03-dakota.html

Quick Reply: Turn signal and flasher not working