2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Load distributing hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 09:17 PM
04 Quadcab
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Load distributing hitch

How important is a load distribution hitch on a Dak with tow package?

Old 08-13-2019, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

How much weight are you wanting to pull?

Old 08-14-2019, 08:36 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by 04 Quadcab
How important is a load distribution hitch on a Dak with tow package?
It depends on tongue weight. If the rear sits way down and the trailer front is down also, you want an equalizer to take some weight off the rear and put it on the front wheels. This lessens the strain on the rear springs, improves steering response and makes the entire rig a little more stable. It you get the wiggles rolling down the road (I get them when I drink too much caffeine, but that's a different wiggle.) you will want to add a damper to keep the oscillations down. If they get too bad, you get what's called a "tank slapper" and can end up jack knifing.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:39 PM
04 Quadcab
Rookie
Default not sure

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How much weight are you wanting to pull?
Not really sure at this point. Father-in-law wants to give us his travel trailer. He's in Florida and I'm in Missouri, and I have seen the trailer but have no specs on it. My guess is that it's a 22 ft and weighs around 3500 lb, but I could be way off on the wt, It is a "lite" version, but as such could still get near 4,000 lb. Add water tank, propane tank, battery and all, and the wt goes even higher. So I suppose I've just convinced myself I could be pulling as much as 5000 lb.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:39 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by 04 Quadcab
Not really sure at this point. Father-in-law wants to give us his travel trailer. He's in Florida and I'm in Missouri, and I have seen the trailer but have no specs on it. My guess is that it's a 22 ft and weighs around 3500 lb, but I could be way off on the wt, It is a "lite" version, but as such could still get near 4,000 lb. Add water tank, propane tank, battery and all, and the wt goes even higher. So I suppose I've just convinced myself I could be pulling as much as 5000 lb.

An equalizer hitch is almost a must have for a lighter tow vehicle. Make sure the tongue has places you can attach the equalizer arms. With that much weight, you want to make sure you have a brake controller unless the trailer has surge brakes. I've seen them both ways. You may have a place on the wiring harness somewhere where you can just plug into the electrical system. If you don't have an auxiliary transmission cooler, add one. Run the transmission fluid through the radiator first, then the cooler. Otherwise, the transmission will be the same as the engine temperature. Heat kills transmissions. Don't forget to take into account any gear in the trailer. The trailer may weight 3500 pounds but 1000 pounds worth of gear makes it 4500. Finally, once your rig is built up to tow and you hook up, take your time going home. It WILL handle totally different. At rest stops and truck stops, try to find a spot where you can pull through. If you end up having to back into someplace, make sure you have a spotter and they can see your EYES, not just you. Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel so when you move your hand left, the trailer will go left. If you start to bind and jack knife, stop, pull forward to straighten and try again. If you make 20 tries and another driver offers to back it in for you, swallow your pride and let them if they have a similar rig.

Years ago, I was in line waiting to launch a boat for a friend. A woman came around the long line of people waiting and then tried to back in, in front of everyone else. Not one person offered to help her as she was so rude. Ended up not launching as she couldn't get lined up. Almost launched the truck though.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:19 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Oh boy. Just an FYI...you're looking to tow something that weighs the same if not more than the towing vehicle....Brakes will be your #1 issue.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:26 PM
truckpro

Yes I agree that brakes will be a huge issue when towing a lot of weight with a little truck, etc. While going through the gorge between Vegas and Utah I noticed a Dodge Durango pulling a 5th wheel camper trailer. Next thing I hear on the news that the Durango and camper rolled after the brakes failed because of the amount of weight he was towing. Although if you do have great brakes and you are confident in pulling a heavy load, then a weight distribution hitch is the way to go.

Last edited by truckpro; 08-27-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Originally Posted by truckpro
Yes I agree that brakes will be a huge issue when towing a lot of weight with a little truck, SUV, etc. While going through the gorge between Vegas and Utah I noticed a Dodge Durango pulling a 5th wheel camper trailer. Next thing I hear on the news that the Durango and camper rolled after the brakes failed because of the amount of weight he was towing. Although if you do have great brakes and you are confident in pulling a heavy load, then a weight distribution hitch is the way to go.
How was an SUV pulling a fifth wheel trailer? They don't have a bed to put the 'wheel' in.......

Old 08-26-2019, 06:11 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How was an SUV pulling a fifth wheel trailer? They don't have a bed to put the 'wheel' in.......

I wondered that too but I figured they got a Durango and Dakota confused as to names. I had a '88 S-10 back in the late 80's I used to pull a '62 Galaxie on a flat bed. I didn't go very fast in the hills but the trailer had good brakes and I had an equalizing hitch.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:32 AM
truckpro

Sorry didnt mean to include the SUV

Quick Reply: Load distributing hitch