2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 03:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,277 Likes on 3,024 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I've been mulling replacing my O2 sensors as well cause I'm at 312K and they've never been changed. Still, the truck is running superbly and I was averaging 17.6 mpg on a recent drive to VA, with my foot in it the whole way. Here in Atl traffic, I get anywhere between 13-15 mpg. Don't know if I'd see much improvement, if any.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The following users liked this post:
Dodgevity (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 10:11 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

A buddy of mine has.an 01 Dodge 1/2 ton with the 360 in it, I have an 01durango with the same.
Both over 200k miles. I just replaced the engine in mine with a good used lower mile one, while he rebuilt his as a "stroker" claiming that his HP will be double what it was new.
Before he did so, he had put larger roller rockers on his engine, shorty headers and a tune to the computer which helped alot in both the power and mpg as compared to stock, I now have the 1.7 roller rockers that he had on his engine before rebuild, (have yet to put them on) and he has been trying to talk me into putting a tune on my vehicles forever now it seems (stock rocker ratio is 1.6)
​they say that the change from stock rocker arms to a 1.7 ratio version gives a more noticeable difference in performance than alot of cams that are available for these engines. Better bang for the buck I haven't tried this for myself yet though.

With the rockers and a tune my buddy claimed to have gone from mpgs close to what you claim, to mpgs in the high teens normally and low-20s on the road.
​​​​​​His truck has reverted to toy status, with what he now has into it mpgs aren't a concern for that rig any more, he has a newer one now for daily driver duty.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:04 PM
Luke Ray
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I thought you said you lowered it but looking back over the posts, it must have been someone else as you didn't say it here. Both myself and HeyYou have asked how many miles on the engine. That, plus running temperature are very important. I suspect something but need to know how many miles on your engine.
127100 1271s idk if it's the original o2 sensor or not

Old 01-29-2020, 04:30 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke Ray
127100 1271s idk if it's the original o2 sensor or not

The reason I was wanting to know how many miles on your engine is at around 120,000 to 150,000 mil much improved fuel ileage and the herateres the timing chain has stretched so much the timing isn't quite right. The engine tends to run cooler and never warm up. This causes the computer to go into "open loop" mode to warm it up, which it never does. Your fuel mileage will tank. Replace the chain set, if it's the issue, and you will see much improved fuel mileage and the heater will cook you.

Quick Reply: Mpg