2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Which Headlight To Use??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 10:52 PM
FredT
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Headlight To Use??

Looking for some solid information on replacement headlamps. I feel that I need some new headlamps that are maybe 30% - 50% brighter than the ones I have now in my old 2004 Dakota. Everything I see suggests to me that the original headlamps were probably around 1000 lumens. (I keep running into that "9007" designation everywhere)... I do not wish to spend $1000 on a high energy system as my intent is NOT to blind oncoming drivers. I'm thinking that maybe some new halogens at about 1500 lumens would be the ticket - as opposed to HEDs or LEDs. What do you think? Anybody here have tons of experience with this type of thing? Please accept my "THANKS" in advance... FredT

Old 02-02-2020, 07:50 PM
wheily
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i ordered some bulbs i think they were hella brand yellow coated .they worked grate had a yellow ish light on low beam and bright blue on high beams

Old 02-03-2020, 06:12 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by FredT
Looking for some solid information on replacement headlamps. I feel that I need some new headlamps that are maybe 30% - 50% brighter than the ones I have now in my old 2004 Dakota. Everything I see suggests to me that the original headlamps were probably around 1000 lumens. (I keep running into that "9007" designation everywhere)... I do not wish to spend $1000 on a high energy system as my intent is NOT to blind oncoming drivers. I'm thinking that maybe some new halogens at about 1500 lumens would be the ticket - as opposed to HEDs or LEDs. What do you think? Anybody here have tons of experience with this type of thing? Please accept my "THANKS" in advance... FredT

9007 is your bulb size. I've had good luck with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs through the years.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:56 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

I got these headlights some years back. I've modified them a bit since then. All the bulbs are LED, including the headlight low/high beam. The LEDheadlight bulbs are supposedly 12,000 lumens, which sounds like a really high number. (They are no longer available on Amazon, but there are others that are similar.) They are bright, but not ridiculously so. The important thing is, aiming your headlights properly so they don't blind oncoming drivers. When I pull up behind a vehicle, the beam cutoff does not rise above the top of the their rear bumper and when driving behind one, it usually cuts off about halfway up their trunk lid. I've never once been flashed since using them and I had my wife drive the truck while I was in another car checking out the lights. No issues

Here are some LED bulbs that should work for you:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KBGX6SN/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A126Q4T86JLNL&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KBGX6SN/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A126Q4T86JLNL&psc=1

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-06-2020 at 09:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Thomas Mills (03-23-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 11:38 PM
FredT
Amateur

Thanks for the replies folks. I had almost settled on halogen bulbs after conferring with several others... but maybe LED is the way to go. Also, I had spotted (don't remember where) some bulbs that were rated at about 1700 lumens, and I am about the pull the trigger on those. In addition to all that - like so many others - I need to either "rework" my headlight assemblies or get new ones. That "UV" is really detrimental to acrylic - as you all know. Again -> "THANKS" for your replies.... FredT

Old 02-06-2020, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

AM-Autoparts.com sells a variety of headlight housings, including stock replacements. Their prices are good, shipping isn't outrageous, and they are of reasonable quality. I put a set in my 96 Ram when I bought it, and they still look brand new 7 years later, when I sold it. I like them so much, I bought a set for my 98 when I got it. I also installed the LMC Truck 'heavy duty headlight harness'. Uses relays to power the headlights, and the headlight switch only controls the relays. So, much less load on the switch, and better power feed for the headlights. Combine with some good Bulbs (I used the sylvania silver stars) and you get really good light output.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:18 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

In my earlier post, I typed 1200 lumens, when I really meant 12,000... 6,000 per bulb! If you go LED, go with high lumens. The white light given off by LED lamps is not as effective for human vision as the yellow light from regular old halogens. Better pic

Old 02-09-2020, 04:22 AM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

On the housings, I've had excellent luck with plain old rubbing compound like you use on car paint. I use it on my work car's headlights about once every 6 months, and they look nearly brand new. Takes 5 minutes. Be worth a try, and if you want you can still buy new housings.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:25 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Vimes
On the housings, I've had excellent luck with plain old rubbing compound like you use on car paint. I use it on my work car's headlights about once every 6 months, and they look nearly brand new. Takes 5 minutes. Be worth a try, and if you want you can still buy new housings.

AS a last gasp effort, you can also use toothpaste and a scotch-brite pad.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:00 PM
YoungsModulus

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
9007 is your bulb size. I've had good luck with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs through the years.
Silverstar is hot garbage.

Quick Reply: Which Headlight To Use??