2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

What did you do to your Dakota today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 06:47 PM
99DakotaSLT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did you do to your Dakota today?

I see this type of thread on other car forums I am on. They are used to provide forum members with upgrades/improvements/maintenance repair tips/etc.

Today, I replaced the throttle position sensor and idle air control valve on my '99 5.2. I was having rpm surges at highway speeds; 1800 to 2200.
The old tps looked good, but the iac was fouled up with carbon deposits.

I probably could have soaked it in gasoline and cleaned it off, but for $40 and these probably being the original parts, I just swapped them out.
Truck runs much better now.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:20 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Been dealing with a coolant leak for months, losing around a few cups every few weeks. Finally rented a pressure tester today. Rental was $162 at O'Reilly's and it was refunded when I returned it an hour later.

It took me roughly five minutes to find the leak. You can see it in the pic. One of the worm clamps on the heater hose was loose. If you look closely you can see the green drop of coolant falling. Tightened the clamp for now and it stopped, but I'm going to replace the hose and use a spring clamp soon. Worm clamps suck!

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-27-2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by 99DakotaSLT
I see this type of thread on other car forums I am on. They are used to provide forum members with upgrades/improvements/maintenance repair tips/etc.

Today, I replaced the throttle position sensor and idle air control valve on my '99 5.2. I was having rpm surges at highway speeds; 1800 to 2200.
The old tps looked good, but the iac was fouled up with carbon deposits.

I probably could have soaked it in gasoline and cleaned it off, but for $40 and these probably being the original parts, I just swapped them out.
Truck runs much better now.
Did you install a mopar IAC? I have had very poor luck with the aftermarket fellers. They do not react as quickly as they should.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:07 AM
99DakotaSLT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Did you install a mopar IAC? I have had very poor luck with the aftermarket fellers. They do not react as quickly as they should.
I bought a Walker #215-1000. Compared to how it had been reacting, this is night and day. Time will tell, I guess.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:12 PM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea that IAC is burnt toast !
I replaced my original EVAP purge valve a couple days ago. truck ran ok but a check engine light , error code p0441.
$45 at Autozone , $10 off $50 purchase so I picked up a can of Seafoam to make the deal (may have been running rich)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Dakota today?