2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ignition coil issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 11:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Your local neighborhood parts store should be able to get you are reman for around that price, and it will come flashed to your vin.

The following users liked this post:
Mechanical_Tree (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 09:43 AM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my truck from the shop yesterday. Paid $600 for a new computer. They said there was an intermittent loss of spark issue due to a faulty computer. Well after I picked it up It drove mint. As the day progressed it slowly started to act up again. This time it wouldnt stall but it would want to. It would fall on its face and stutter no big back fires but a little pops in the exhaust. As I fluttered the gas to try to get it to go it would correct itself and travel back down the road normal. I'm gonna call the shop back. My question to you is could a bad spark plug or two cause an intermittent problem? It was so bad before that it caused a back fire that tore open the muffler. So is it possible that I have a damaged spark plug? I would think it wouldn't be intermittent misfire caused by a bad spark plug. But I just don't know anymore. This truck is a nightmare.

Old 05-15-2020, 03:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think spark plugs would be a consistent problem. I think you have something getting warm, and failing, likely on the spark side of the equation, given your symptoms. Could be the coil, could be the crank sensor.....

Old 05-15-2020, 03:30 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Sounds like crank sensor. Stick to Mopar if you change it.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:52 PM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

I already replaced the coil. A month ago. Because I had a code for ignition coil. There's currently no codes.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:56 PM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

After I replaced the coil it started and ran better for a day. After the computer swap it ran great the first half of the morning. Then as I drive it I felt barely a stutter. Then I second guess myself and said maybe I'm tripping. Then as I was going up a hill it skipped a little more. Then another hill it's skipped and stuttered a bit more. Till I was like see, I know I'm not crazy. Then by end of day it would happen even on a flat road. And damn near stall cuz it stuttered so bad. It was all progressive.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Are there any codes set? Pending codes?? (need a good scanner to read those.....)

Old 05-16-2020, 10:23 AM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

Originally there was a p0500 speed sensor.
p0351 ignition coil A primary/secondary circuit
P0138 o2 circuit high voltage (bank1, sensor 2)
P0455 evap large leak detected
Then another evap leak small detected. But I repaired an evap leak and the small leak detected went away. Then I replaced the ignition coil. Cleared the codes to see what would come back. And absolutely nothing has come back. Then the garage put a new computer I've driven about 100 miles since and nothing has come back. I drove the truck last night and it acted ok. Im gonna drive it today to see what happens it seems the more I drive it the more it acts up.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:00 AM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

I appreciate all the help and tips guys. I'm sure I'm getting annoying already. I noticed while parked if I turn my steering wheel my rpms drop then when I straighten the wheel they go back to 750. Where they should be. Why is that?

Old 05-16-2020, 11:39 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanical_Tree
I appreciate all the help and tips guys. I'm sure I'm getting annoying already. I noticed while parked if I turn my steering wheel my rpms drop then when I straighten the wheel they go back to 750. Where they should be. Why is that?
commanded is 700RPM idle, turning the wheel loads the power steering pump which will lug the engine down. Some year trucks has a power steering pressure sensor that would compensate this and bump idle up under load.

Quick Reply: Ignition coil issues