2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ignition coil issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 08:08 PM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the shop called and said they couldn't replicate the issue I'm having with my truck so just come pick it up. Wtf is that!!! If you drive it, you'd see wtf the issue is. Or maybe they couldn't figure it out. So they just said come get this POS of my property. Idk. They said they added a fuel cleaner and they think my fuel pump is intermittent shorting out. But wait, I thought you couldn't replicate the issue. So how would come to think that!? Picked the truck up and within 5 minutes of driving it, it started it's bull****.
​​​​

Old 05-21-2020, 12:08 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanical_Tree
Well the shop called and said they couldn't replicate the issue I'm having with my truck so just come pick it up. Wtf is that!!! If you drive it, you'd see wtf the issue is. Or maybe they couldn't figure it out. So they just said come get this POS of my property. Idk. They said they added a fuel cleaner and they think my fuel pump is intermittent shorting out. But wait, I thought you couldn't replicate the issue. So how would come to think that!? Picked the truck up and within 5 minutes of driving it, it started it's bull****.
​​​​
Request a technician to ride with you? Or do shops not do that anymore?

Old 05-21-2020, 08:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
Request a technician to ride with you? Or do shops not do that anymore?
Probably violates some Covid restriction.......

Old 05-21-2020, 10:40 AM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

Idk my buddy's father is a mechanical engineer for Pratt and Whitney. He said he had a vehicle that was doing a familiar thing. It was happening because there was **** on the bottom of the gas tank and it was clogging the screen. Not allowing it to suck gas. Then once it started to stutter the gas would stop sucking up so all the **** would fall away. Which would then allow the car to run normal again. What I do know is that at some point a year ago the filler neck rotted out and needed to be replaced. So I'm wondering if that's what's going on. I have noticed that this issue ALWAYS happens when I put gas in the tank. It happens other times too. Like hills and randomly. However every time I put gas it deff starts happening. Then after a few minutes of stuttering and not driving smooth. It goes away and will drive fine again. So my next step is to drop the tank. Take a lookie look and see if I got a bunch of crap in there.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sounds like a good plan.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:40 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanical_Tree
So my next step is to drop the tank. Take a lookie look and see if I got a bunch of crap in there.
That's a lot of work just to look into the tank for crap. No idea how old your fuel pump is, but while the tank is out, may as well replace it. You'll have to pull the fuel pump to look in, no reason a new one can't go back in its place. You'd not have to worry about the fuel pump for another 100K miles or so that way either.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

And the fuel pump module may be the problem in any event......

Old 05-21-2020, 06:56 PM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

I appreciate the info and the help. Thank you. So I called auto zone and the cheapest one is 200!!! That seems like a bit much idk. Anybody ever get one off line for a decent price? I found them cheaper online I'm just worried about shopping on line...anybody purchase one on line? Do you remember the company? Thanks again

Old 05-21-2020, 07:03 PM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

My check engine light finally came on. It's been about a hundred miles since the new computer was put in. Also the speedo stopped working and the mileage doesn't really clock. I've had this truck for about two months it never stopped working before allthough there was a code for speedo before. I didn't wanna burn up a new thread. I'm gonna go to the local AutoZone and scan it. I know on the Rams the speed sensor up till like 97 they're on the transfer case and above 97 there on the axle. Is it the same with the Dakota? Also would a new speedo help these issues? Or is it tranny thing??
p.s I'm gonna pick a manual up while at AutoZone.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the check engine lite on for the speedo not working? Or some other reason?

Take a look at the tailhousing of your t-case, if there isn't a sensor on it, then it is the one on top of the rear diff.

The following users liked this post:
Mechanical_Tree (05-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Ignition coil issues