2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Ignition coil issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 12:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I am curious why it would whine about a sensor it doesn't have, nor should it be programmed for....... Is there a sticker on the PCM for an "Authorized Software Update"? What was that code? Wonder if it actually has some other meaning.....

Old 06-05-2020, 12:19 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanical_Tree
Remember now the second time the CEL light came on it said cylinder one misfire and it said fuel pressure sensor bad. So that makes sense for a fuel pressure issue. Because every time I fuel up it always happens. So I gotta ask. These trucks don't have a fuel pressure sensor. So what would cause a fuel pressure problem? Would that be the evap canister? Or something with the evap system?
Because P1457 might be a fuel pressure sensor on some vehicles, it is also an evap canister fault on others. For yours, it's probably the evap canister. Dodge probably changed it to fuel pressure when they added fuel pressure sensors, so if yours doesn't have one it'll likely be the evap module.

https://www.engine-codes.com/p1457.html

From my reading on this site and not personal experience, the evap canister has a problem with various rubber hoses going bad. I suggest inspecting the evap cannister for damaged hoses, and if you find none replace it. New ones run around 100 bucks, but a salvage yard piece would likely work although I'd not pay more than 20 bucks for a used one.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:10 AM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So as your aware my check engine light came on for the third time. The other two times they turned off within a day or two. First time was O2 sensor. Second time was cylinder 1 misfire and fuel pressure sensor. Welp I scanned the code yesterday. What came up was P090C. Apparently there's no direct meaning, just a general code for transmission. So I checked my tranny fluid. I let it run for about ten minutes. Then checked it in park. It was full. Then I checked it in neutral with my foot on the break. It was just at the ok line. So I added a little bit I had left in a bottle. My tranny pan gasket does seem to have a leak. I haven't break cleaned it and seen how much is leaking but the pan is wet with tranny fluid. I haven't added any in about two weeks. I don't have any shifting problems. Im guessing it's just the computer grasping at straws trying to figure out what's wrong.
however while there I bought a $14 dollar bottle of techron. It says pore the whole bottle in then add about 20 gallons. So i will do that today.
While I was looking the bottle in I figured I'd take a lookie look under to see if anything was dripping. And I was wondering if I have some bad connections on the filler neck that allows air to come in or even water when it rains giving me ****ty watery gas.
What I did notice was that the plastic that goes from filler neck orifice to the tank was damp. So I dried it. Then it seemed and got damp again. So I dried it and it proceeded to get damp again. You can see some old gas all sticky around basically the same area. So I wonder if my plastic tiller neck has a slight crack in it... Is it taking in air? That why my pressure is bad? You can see the gunk build up in the middle of the hose. On that first hose closest to me

​​​​​​

Old 06-06-2020, 01:16 PM
Vimes
Veteran

Very possible. The emissions system's job is to look for fuel system leaks, and a crack in any fuel-related hose behind the fuel pump will set it off. If there's a leak anywhere, it sets a code. You will need to replace that hose, then see if any codes return. While you are in there, check the rest of the hoses on the emissions system. Kinda weird for this hose to develop a leak though, it's not a common failure.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:41 PM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

But would that create my fuel stuttering problem?
previously I checked every part of the fuel vapor system. And I found two metal lines that had corroded. They were two thin diameter lines that came off the top of the fuel tank then went to two rubber hoses that went to the evap canister. The metal lines were obsolete. So I cut back behind where they were rusted, threw out the two foot section of rubber hose that went from the canister to those lines I trimmed. And put a three foot section that I used a hose clamp to put where I cut the metal lines. Then a code I had for a small evap leak disappeared and shut off

Last edited by Mechanical_Tree; 06-06-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:08 PM
Mechanical_Tree
Rookie

I have noticed my truck idles quieter since I put in that bottle of techron

Old 06-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Vimes
Veteran

Nah, the emissions system codes are nuisance codes put there by lawmakers who are convinced that a microscopic fuel vapor escape is more damaging than the extra fuel burned carrying the weight of the emissions gear around is, along with the extra emissions caused by building and transporting the emissions parts to the factories. One of the reasons I'm a GM fan is I can use EFI Live to eliminate a lot of those nuisance codes But the emissions gear isn't all useless, because those canisters do remove the annoying fuel vapor smell that used to hang around pre-emission vehicles.

The techron cleans the innards of the fuel system and the cylinders. You'll probably also benefit from replacing the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. If the #1 fuel injector was partially clogged, it can also break down the clog depending on what it's made of. Time will tell on that.

Quick Reply: Ignition coil issues