2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

How much Oil to Add when just at low Safe mark?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 08:44 PM
MyDakota1997
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much Oil to Add when just at low Safe mark?

Hello. I've owned mostly GM vehicles throughout my life (no throwing tomatoes) and on the engine oil dip stick it says between the low and high mark "Add 1 Qt". Dodge doesn't say. Any ideas so that I can add all at once rather than little by little? I don't want to over fill it.
Thanks.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

1 quart from the bottom of the safe range, to the top. I think that is pretty standard across all manufacturers.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:57 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by MyDakota1997
Hello. I've owned mostly GM vehicles throughout my life (no throwing tomatoes) and on the engine oil dip stick it says between the low and high mark "Add 1 Qt". Dodge doesn't say. Any ideas so that I can add all at once rather than little by little? I don't want to over fill it.
Thanks.

I've owned a few, or a lot, of most American makers and a few Furrin' makers. Generally, the first time I add oil, I'll add 1/2 a quart, wait 5 minutes and recheck. Usually, it takes a quart to fill from the add mark.

The following users liked this post:
Dodgevity (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 09:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I've owned a few, or a lot, of most American makers and a few Furrin' makers. Generally, the first time I add oil, I'll add 1/2 a quart, wait 5 minutes and recheck. Usually, it takes a quart to fill from the add mark.
Yep. Depending on how gunked up the engine is inside, sometimes, it can take a while for the oil to make it's way to the pan.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:19 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Agreed. When in doubt, add half a quart and check again so you get to understand the amount needed without running over.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep. Depending on how gunked up the engine is inside, sometimes, it can take a while for the oil to make it's way to the pan.
So true. In the case of my 4.7L.... I used to wonder why I had to go so slow when pouring oil into my 4.7L. While doing some other work, I recently pulled off the oil fill tube (which is known for collecting milky white gunk from condensation on the cap) and it was nearly clogged with gunk down at the bottom, by the gasket. Had to use a screwdriver to dig it out. Oil pours in much faster now.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:21 PM
MyDakota1997
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, everyone. Hey You was right. I put in 1/2 quart, ran the truck and let it sit overnight. The next morning I checked it was up half way to full. So I added the rest and it's spot on.

Quick Reply: How much Oil to Add when just at low Safe mark?