2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

new alternator, still not charging (several things checked)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 10:39 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Solo PCM is the best I've found based on actual reviews/referrals.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:37 PM
ksJoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sketchy thing #3: I got an email with the subject line of "STATUS UPDATE"
This message is in regards to the module that you've purchased with us. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of orders and programming services that we've had to provide thus far, our wiring harness was damaged by a short in one of the units that a customer sent to us. We've ordered a new wiring harness and we are having it expressed to our company.
I am having another unit pulled to be tested and programmed with this new equipment. I will keep you posted on its progress! I will also mark this as a priority order in my programming department as soon as it arrives.
We apologize for the delay, but these units are refurbished and we want to ensure that you have a working part the first time.

possible. But I would have expected their electronics they use to program the PCM to be the thing fried, rather than the wiring harness.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:32 PM
ksJoe
Rookie

It came an hour or so ago.

Good news:
The alternator now charges
P1495 is gone
My key fob still works.

The bad news:
Its tripped P0601 twice so far. Which is the ECU internal error or checksum error.

I understand normally when this happens its a failing ECU. But since this ECU was just reprogrammed, I wonder if they didn't get something right? So I guess it will keep doing this and I need to have them send me another one?

Old 07-18-2020, 09:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Its a Memory error. Swap it out, before your warranty expires, and the PCM fails completely.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:48 AM
ksJoe
Rookie

Sketchy thing #4: The lifetime warranty requires registration/confirmation within 20 days of receipt of the ECU. They somehow forgot to send me the registration....? The ECU came a couple days ago, so its still covered under the 30 day warranty, and they're sending me the registration again for the lifetime warranty. I wonder if I'll have to ask more than once to get the registration?

Sketchy thing #5: they say when the ECU is replaced P0601 is usually a wiring harness issue. They want me to trace the wiring harness and look for frayed or disconnected wiring. I have to do this before they'll send me the RMA form. She says "I know if you look on google it says P0601 is an ECU problem and you should just replace the ECU, but I'm telling you if it happens after replacing the ECU its usually a wiring harness issue".

Have you guys ever heard of something outside the ECU being the cause of P0601?

So I'll look over the wiring harness and unplug/replug the ECU and go for another drive.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

P0601 is NOT a wiring issue. It is an internal memory issue. That is VERY well documented, in many places. Don't let them give you the runaround.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:17 PM
ksJoe
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
P0601 is NOT a wiring issue. It is an internal memory issue. That is VERY well documented, in many places. Don't let them give you the runaround.
I know

And I won't clear the code again, but I'm wondering if I sent it back in without the code tripped, would they say it tests out fine and charge me?
I'm wondering if now I have to run it long enough to report the problem again.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:56 PM
ksJoe
Rookie

sketchy thing #6 still no warranty registration info.
During my phone call this morning, they told me they'd resend the warranty registration docs and I'd have them within 20 minutes. That was several hours ago, so I thought I'd try chat. During the chat, she said the docs would come by the end of the day.

There has been something misleading, incorrect, or untruthful almost every time I've communicated with them. At least they're consistent!
I wonder if giving them a link to this thread would help or hurt my customer support experience....

Old 07-20-2020, 03:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's going to clear the code when you send it in regardless.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:47 PM
ksJoe
Rookie

Good to know - but the code came on again anyway.

So we're past their end of the workday and of course I don't have the emails to register for their lifetime warranty. I've been watching my spam folder too, so its not there.

Tomorrow I'll ask for an RMA form and the warranty registration. If I don't have it by end of day tomorrow, I'm thinking my next step will be to file a complaint with their state attorny general for deceptive business practices, and false advertising (because of the mythical lifetime warranty). They've said something untrue practically every time I've contacted them.

Quick Reply: new alternator, still not charging (several things checked)