2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

04 Dakota Quad 4X4 Rear End Froze up

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 01:05 AM
Nereus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Dakota Quad 4X4 Rear End Froze up

I have a 2004 Dakota "Sport+" Quad Cab 4X4 with 4.7L V8 and 5 Speed auto with OD, and continuous AWD, (or locked Hi/Lo ). Disc brakes all round. ABS? Looks like the rear end is an 8" anti-spin. Haven't read the tag yet. So not sure if it's 3.55 or 3.92

Am the original owner. Truck has 110,000 km ( 70,000 miles). Has been a great truck. Think I may have a problem with the rear end. Pretty certain, after today.

Backed out of the driveway the other day, changed from reverse to drive, and stepped on the gas. However, the truck didn't move. What the heck? Shift selector still in AWD. OK. Felt like the back wheels were in wheel chocks. Hmm. E-brake is off. (doesn't hold well anyways ) What the hell?

Put it Park, shut off, and hopped out, to look underneath, just to see if there was anything obvious. Hope, nothing under the truck. Just then, truck kinda groans from the back end, and lurches forward an inch or so. Whatever caused the lockup, seemed to have let go again. Weird.

Hopped back in, and truck now seemed OK. Drove to Home Depot and back. Did I hear any sounds coming from rear end? maybe? not sure. Too paranoid now.

Gassed up the truck today. Then went to go to the farm market, and half way there, we heard some grindy sounds coming from the back of the truck. Definitely something not right. Turned around and drove home. Sounds are of short duration. Not constant. Truck drives as per normal.

That's as far as I have gotten. Me thinks I will need to find a shop that does differentials. Arghh.

Was hoping to hear from anyone who has any similar experience with these 2nd gen Dakota's rear differentials, so far as failures go. Are they weak? Don't look very beefy. Ever had one Freeze Up? Or grenade?

Second, was also wondering if I could bolt in a 9.25 " differential housing, instead of the existing 8.25 differential, which may be toast. likely needs to be rebuilt. Would be too easy if the larger sized rear end would just bolt into place, and accept the existing drive shaft and axels..

Need to find a Factory Service Manual download too, I guess.

Appreciate any feedback / info. Could it be anything else? Has ABS disk brakes in the back. Hope to pull the rear cover and check the oil for debris shortly. Will let ya know what I find. Cheers!

Old 09-23-2020, 10:22 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

The "anti-spin" differentials do have a fair share of problems. Usually the clutch pack retainers break off and can damage the gears. Going to a 9.25 won't fix that issue.
I'd start with checking out the brakes, including the parking brake. Make sure they aren't hanging up or dragging.

If you change housings pick up the driveshaft too.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:30 PM
Nereus

Thanks DakDan. Looks like an 8.25 rear end, with 3.55 anti-spin. I am leaning towards the clutch pack retainers, too. Will know after I pull the cover off and have a look for debris.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:30 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Fortunately, if the retainers have popped out, just remove them. It won't hurt anything having them removed, as the clutches are done anyways (that's why the clips fallout). It just goes back to being a normal open diff.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:08 PM
Nereus

Thanks for that information. It's great to have some knowledgeable folks on this forum.

This morning, I put the Dakota's rear axle on some old ramps I have, and proceeded to pull off the rear cover of the differential.
The oil didn't look too bad. Drained it all, pulled the cover and what do ya know, no bits of metal. No shavings, no gear teeth, nada. Great news, for me!
I am assuming at this point, that the rear end is still good. And, that it was a broken park brake cable ( driver side rear ) that likely froze up the park brake.
Painted the cover, sealed it up, and reinstalled. Had a gasket on order, but the dealer said Mopar didn't use a gasket, just a sealant. We shall see. Never leaked in the past, and there was no gasket.
Test drive tomorrow. Installed a new park brake cable. ( Raybestos replacement. OEM part no longer available. Tensioner is critical. Also no longer available Six cables, and a handful of connectors. Jeez ... )
Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help. Most appreciated.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:51 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

That's good, not finding anything

I just use rtv, no gasket. Never had any leaks.

I still suspect it was your brakes.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:17 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

disc brakes? a little drum within the rotor hat containing a set of shoes about teh size of go cart brakes? The show lining may have come looose from the metal backing, and wedged between the "drum" part of rotor and other shoe.
had it happen on my Moms Intrepid, and am rebuilding brakes on a 30K lb. equipment trailer at work for same condition. That one dragged a tandem (dual wheels) and put a MAJOR flat spot in that pair of tires.....

Old 09-30-2020, 08:31 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
disc brakes? a little drum within the rotor hat containing a set of shoes about teh size of go cart brakes? The show lining may have come looose from the metal backing, and wedged between the "drum" part of rotor and other shoe.
Yeah, been there on that. Here are a few threads...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ne-soft-2.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ke-issues.html

Quick Reply: 04 Dakota Quad 4X4 Rear End Froze up