2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Sure didn't see that coming

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2020 | 12:07 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Drain the oil and see what comes out. Drain it and let it sit for a while, then pour the oil into a jug and see what has collected at the bottom of the drain pan. Any metal silt will tell you a lot. Would be nice if you could run it, then drain it but that ain't happening.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10-25-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-25-2020 | 12:09 AM
2000_Dakota
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Drain the oil and see what comes out. Drain it, then pour the oil into a jug and see what has collected at the bottom. Would be nice if you could run it, then drain it but that ain't happening.
right... I am an Amsoil Dealer, I might capture some oil and have it checked for funzies... Looking at those cam caps do they look bad to you?

Old 10-25-2020 | 12:23 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by 2000_Dakota
right... I am an Amsoil Dealer, I might capture some oil and have it checked for funzies... Looking at those cam caps do they look bad to you?
Hard to say. Do they feel smooth?

Not trying to be a party pooper but I'm a bit pessimistic that you'll be getting that title. They would have come up with it if they could to make more money from the sale. Try to temper your enthusiasm.

Old 10-25-2020 | 07:26 AM
2000_Dakota
|
Professional

Hard to say. Do they feel smooth?

Not trying to be a party pooper but I'm a bit pessimistic that you'll be getting that title. They would have come up with it if they could to make more money from the sale. Try to temper your enthusiasm.
Yes the journals are smooth, In the pic I posted you can see minor wear marks, the million dollar question is are the holes round now. There are procedures to fix that with line boring and milling but where do I draw the line..
In regards to the title, they are a young couple, expecting their first born and they don't want the truck and likely cant afford to fix it any who... They were against the wall as their landlord was preparing to evict them the next morning if it wasn't gone. I went into it telling her I would take it off their hands as they were in a difficult position and I was looking for a project truck any ways. (to save them grief and eviction) If I never get a title I will always know I did the right thing as a good human
Apparently in Arizona there is a process to resolve lost titles etc., the issue right now is getting the parties together and Covid.I believe it will work out.

Old 10-25-2020 | 10:56 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Exclamation

bit pessimistic is the word people in desperation will do anything to get out of trouble.

I'm 100% sure it's now yours but will a title show up I don't think that will happen.

Good luck did you try a carfax search?

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle-history-reports/

To me in the pic's the engine looks like it got hot.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 10-25-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2020 | 11:30 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by 2000_Dakota

Toast

The one 4.7 I've worked on had sludge in the oil pan that stopped the oil pickup from drawing oil up.I managed to save that engine because the previous owner stopped driving it when it started rattling. I'll bet they just kept driving until the engine locked up. I suspect they weren't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Why don't they have title to the truck? Lost title is easy, take the registration in most states to the BMV and apply for a lost title. If there's a lien or back child support, you have a pile of used parts.In Kentucky, you keep the title but the lien has to be released before you can sell it. I had a truck once from there and the lien was paid, but the owner never bothered to have the bank sign off.

If nothing else, you have a parts supply for another truck. You can even pull the cab and make the rear into a matching trailer for another truck. I did that once and it freaked people out the first time they saw it. On the other hand, a State Trooper saw trailer plates on a pickup and pulled me over. When I pulled into a parking lot and hinged in the middle, he came up with a grin and told me why he pulled me over.

Old 10-25-2020 | 11:58 AM
2000_Dakota
|
Professional

The young man says he "has/had" a title they haven't been able to find it. I will be pursuing this like a big dog tomorrow. I was digging around in the cab earlier, lifted the bottom of the back seat and found Alpine stereo cross over gear... what ever that is

I have been on the hunt for a buildable long block. There are a ton of 4.7's out there that don't run. As soon as you ask if the engine turns over they stop talking... They are asking serious money for them in some cases too.

Last edited by 2000_Dakota; 10-25-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2020 | 12:19 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
To me in the pic's the engine looks like it got hot.
Top end wise, I've seen worse. See the bottom pic of mine, for example. That was taken back in March when a lifter finally locked up and threw a rocker.

When I purchased from the former owner, he'd run almost 40K on the same oil. When I drained the oil cold, it rolled out like molasses. Looks-wise of it never recovered from his maltreatment. I bought it because he hadn't checked the oil in all that time and it was only a quart or two low. I also had him gas it to hell while I watched the tailpipe and it didn't smoke (and I got it cheap). I run 0W20 full syn and run a motor flush every few oil changes, so never any sludge. People say you can't abuse a 4.7L but mine is living proof that you can and it can still survive. I've got 317K on it now... original chains.

OP, I really hope you get that title, cause you're already head over heels in love. LOL

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10-25-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2020 | 05:24 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Top end wise, I've seen worse. See the bottom pic of mine, for example. That was taken back in March when a lifter finally locked up and threw a rocker.

When I purchased from the former owner, he'd run almost 40K on the same oil. When I drained the oil cold, it rolled out like molasses. Looks-wise of it never recovered from his maltreatment. I bought it because he hadn't checked the oil in all that time and it was only a quart or two low. I also had him gas it to hell while I watched the tailpipe and it didn't smoke (and I got it cheap). I run 0W20 full syn and run a motor flush every few oil changes, so never any sludge. People say you can't abuse a 4.7L but mine is living proof that you can and it can still survive. I've got 317K on it now... original chains.

OP, I really hope you get that title, cause you're already head over heels in love. LOL

I'm looking at a blue tint on the cam well in the pic it looks blue that says I got hot it may be how it was photographed.

It looks very clean but dry like no oil has flowed in it for some time.

Give carfax a try it will tell you good news or bad news may as well learn the truth.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 10-26-2020 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-26-2020 | 10:02 AM
2000_Dakota
|
Professional

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
I'm looking at a blue tint on the cam well in the pic it looks blue that says I got hot it may be how it was photographed.

It looks very clean but dry like no oil has flowed in it for some time.

Give carfax a try it will tell you good news or bad news may as well learn the truth.
I have not done a Carfax yet. Going to go vote today then swing by the local title registration place today and get a handle on this title issue... Incidentally, the guy I purchased the truck from has stopped responding to my messages. grrrr

In other news a local guy has offered a 4.7 that had reman. heads install last year.

Quick Reply: Sure didn't see that coming