2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Sure didn't see that coming

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020 | 02:47 PM
2000_Dakota
|
Professional

picked up the donor engine and the guy threw in a new HF cherry picker with the leveling bar for $125. The motor has a bad piston and some weird things going on with the heads. One has straight springs the other tapered. One had the original squirt holes in the rockers while the other head has no squirt holes. The heads are at the machine shop being tested. I am pretty sure the heads off the truck are okay and will pull them when the title gets here on Wednesday.

Old 11-01-2020 | 03:33 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Damn, dude. That's the replacement motor? You might have two parts motors. All that metal had to make it's way to the main bearings, etc. Looks like it was run low on oil or overheated. The spring tapers should be up top. Maybe the springs are installed upside down on the other head?

Old 11-01-2020 | 03:42 PM
2000_Dakota
|
Professional

parts motor... Amazingly enough the lower end is in great shape, all standard, smooth journals, clean, no sludge. I haven't pulled the engine from the truck yet but I am not expecting good news and this block should serve that purpose just fine. regardless of cyl. wall taper etc. I plan on doing a .020 on the bore.

In other news: sad to see the Raiders are having such a good day.

Old 11-01-2020 | 07:41 PM
magnethead
Legend

to have that kind of hole in the piston, I'm shocked it didnt blowtorch the block.

Old 11-01-2020 | 07:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by magnethead
to have that kind of hole in the piston, I'm shocked it didnt blowtorch the block.
I think that's from spark knock. The piston apparently got REALLY hot...... and pre-ignition would tend to blow holes in it.

Old 11-01-2020 | 08:11 PM
2000_Dakota
|
Professional

Originally Posted by magnethead
agreed

Old 11-01-2020 | 08:25 PM
2000_Dakota
|
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think that's from spark knock. The piston apparently got REALLY hot...... and pre-ignition would tend to blow holes in it.
Tomorrow I think I will cut open the oil filter and see what's inside. I have pulled all the pistons and the rod bearings look to be in decent shape considering. The important thing to me is the crank and rods appear to be fine, cant wait to pop those mains then off to the machine shop. I feel fortunate to have found a machine shop local, the guy is a huge Dodge race car guy (mostly circle track) so I feel confident my parts are in good hands when it comes to knowledge and experience.

Old 11-01-2020 | 08:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have the appropriate measuring tools? If so, mic the crank, make sure the journals aren't out-of-round.

Old 11-01-2020 | 10:47 PM
2000_Dakota
|
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have the appropriate measuring tools? If so, mic the crank, make sure the journals aren't out-of-round.
All rod bearing were still snap fit and very little noticeable to the feel on the journals. I am aware of the select fit main bearing method Chrysler uses and the tone wheel being stamped with their designations for the bearing sizes when originally built. I will have the machine shop handle all clearance specifications and determine any consider his corrective action recommendations. For fun is the link to his shop https://www.precisionmachineserviceaz.com/home/3551522

Nothing spectacular but more than capable. Plus I like his dog

Old 11-02-2020 | 01:31 PM
2000_Dakota
|
Professional

Happy Monday everyone... Well it looks like the oil filter went out with Fridays trash pickup so nothing there... Not a big deal.
I got the crank bed off, not overly surprised. The mains overall appear to have survived better than one might think given the condition of piston 7.
number 4 got the worst of it being next to the cyl. that failed, main 2 was a little damaged. Getting everything to the machine hop for a complete cleaning and inspection should tell the complete damage. The bearing halves on 2 and 4 are distorted and wont sit down over their respective journals so there is that... I do have some good news however. The rear main wasn't leaking at all

#4 main guys... think it will buff out?

Quick Reply: Sure didn't see that coming