2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Accel Programmer/Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 01:39 PM
Jason Cross
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accel Programmer/Tuner

I purchased this programmer about 6 months ago, and I'll say for the price it has been fantastic. It does not support custom tune files at the moment, or live data on my 2000 Dakota 4.7L. Which is fine I have software and a scanner for that. It does read and clear check engine codes, gets rid of the speed limiter, changes factory rev limiter, speedo correction, etc etc. It comes with multiple tune options ranging from economy, towing, and performance.

I have been on the 91oct performance tune since I bought it and here are the stats with GPS timing software via Torque.

2000 Quad Cab 2WD 4.7 with 45RFE and 3.55 gears

0-60mph: 7.5s
1/8 mile: 10.4s
1/4 mile: 16.3s

I am not claiming these hp/tq numbers to be 100% accurate
270.5HP @3600rpm
392ft lbs TQ @3600
****Not dyno numbers. But HP and TQ were also calculated off of GPS timing based off the gross factory weight of the truck, me in the seat, a full tank of gas, and the drag coefficient number of .471 ( I need to redo this as the actual drag coefficient of a 2000 is .49 and a 2005 is .471) These numbers are not set in stone, but the app is known to be relatively close to dyno numbers with some give or take. I do find it odd without using gear ratio as a factor as well though. The torque number does seem pretty high, but like I said, I am not actually claiming these to be true number.

Link to programmer: ACCEL 49505 Accel SuperTuner - GM/Ford/Dodge/Ram/Jeep

Old 11-23-2020, 08:26 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Curious to see what the specs would be if ran with a totally stock tune....
Also, what info. did you have to input? ie: weight, etc. and is the test bed totally flat?
Last, could you tell us, are the hp, & tq. claims, based on RW, Net, or Gross readings?

Old 11-23-2020, 11:10 AM
Jason Cross

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Curious to see what the specs would be if ran with a totally stock tune....
Also, what info. did you have to input? ie: weight, etc. and is the test bed totally flat?
Last, could you tell us, are the hp, & tq. claims, based on RW, Net, or Gross readings?
I forgot to add I do have a soft bed cover. HP and HQ are suppose to be based off whp. The app factors in gross vehicle weight, driver weight, percentage of fuel weight, and the drag coefficient of the vehicle. It uses GPS to determine how much hp/tq is being put down relative to distance over time @ vehicle weight and drag. This was on a flat road.

I haven't done a stock tune pull, but I can flash back to factory and try it. I would assume probably 230hp 290ft lbs tq range. If I remember I think I'm on about 26 degrees timing WOT right now. Which I believe is moderate. I think, if only I remember correcrly, without other mods, 30 degrees advance at WOT is the max safe number. I could be wrong though. Not running rich besides at idle depending on outside temp. I think my IATs were over 100F when I did this as well.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:12 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Well looking on line I think the net hp was 235 and tq was 295.....
figure a 15% drivetrain loss would be about 200 hp and 250 tq. to the rear wheels.
I really find it hard to believe mopar left 70 rwhp and 143 tq on the table that a tune alone would have given.....
Not meaning to argue, but I would take the numbers as a grain of salt.....
At least compare to what the unit shows with a stock tune.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Well looking on line I think the net hp was 235 and tq was 295.....
figure a 15% drivetrain loss would be about 200 hp and 250 tq. to the rear wheels.
I really find it hard to believe mopar left 70 rwhp and 143 tq on the table that a tune alone would have given.....
Not meaning to argue, but I would take the numbers as a grain of salt.....
At least compare to what the unit shows with a stock tune.
Mopar has to worry about emissions as well. The tuners don't..... That may account for some of it, but, I tend to agree... Those kind of jumps in power from just a tune? I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:06 PM
Jason Cross

This is why I said I am not saying these numbers are accurate. However, I am positive the truck has at least 35hp and 40tq in gains easily. It is a very noticeable difference.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Jason Cross

I will get a stock tune pull today. It is colder out now, and IATs will be down probably 10 degrees, but we will see.

Old 11-27-2020, 04:44 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Look forward to results!! Usually colder temps increase hp-tq.

Quick Reply: Accel Programmer/Tuner