2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fuel pump finally dying @ 320K?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 08:37 PM
2000_Dakota
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default World Parts

I was a little surprised to see you comment regarding airtex pumps, I have used them for years and have had great luck with them.
There is a company called World Parts. They sell OEM GM and Dodge reboxed parts at crazy ridiculous prices.

Genuine GM and Mopar Parts Delivered Directly To You | World Parts Direct

Old 02-02-2021, 08:00 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_Dakota
I was a little surprised to see you comment regarding airtex pumps, I have used them for years and have had great luck with them.
There is a company called World Parts. They sell OEM GM and Dodge reboxed parts at crazy ridiculous prices.

Genuine GM and Mopar Parts Delivered Directly To You | World Parts Direct
I've never had to change a fuel pump before, so I truly can't say whether Airtex is unreliable or not because I've had no personal experience with them. My comment was purely based off the numerous postings I'd come across in the forum and on the web, which put Airtex at the bottom of the reliability list, with Delphi and Denso pumps being praised.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

I have quite a bit of direct experience with Airtex pumps....... from back when I was doing the wrench-turning thing for a living. They were universally horrible. They were inexpensive, so, we gave them a shot. 99% of them failed within six months. Some failed within days, still others were bad right out of the box. ALL of them failed within a year. (still under warranty.....) We stopped using them, and when questioned by our customers WHY we would only install the 'expensive' pumps, asked them how often they wanted to be stranded.

Their reputation has not improved any in the intervening years. They still suck.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:29 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Their reputation has not improved any in the intervening years. They still suck.
Hey, man. Stop holding back. Tell us how you really feel!

I really wanted to go with Denso, but turns out they don't make a pump for the 24 gal tank, as least not that I was able to find. It seems the Delphi pumps are being made in China now. Not sure if that has affected quality, but you know how the story usually goes.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:38 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Well, the oil pressure test kit doesn't have a schrader valve adapter. All these fittings are clean pass throughs.

Oil or fuel pressure gauge? Oil pressure gauges usually replace the stock gauge. Fuel gauges work in tandem.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:38 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Oil or fuel pressure gauge? Oil pressure gauges usually replace the stock gauge. Fuel gauges work in tandem.
Not sure I understand you, friend. This is an oil pressure tester that I wanted to use as a fuel pressure tester. A gauge that sits in your vehicle is a whole nother thing.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:20 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Not sure I understand you, friend. This is an oil pressure tester that I wanted to use as a fuel pressure tester. A gauge that sits in your vehicle is a whole nother thing.

I don't think I've ever tried to test fuel pressure with an oil pressure gauge. I'm not sure it would read correctly. I have two sets of refrigerant gauge sets for a/c systems. The R-12 gauges won't work with R-134 and vice versa. The substances have different specific gravities. Plus the gasoline will be a lot thinner and and acts as a solvent. It may ruin the gauge. As for being in the vehicle, I've always unhooked the original gauge and installed an outside gauge at the oil port.

If it's a rental tool, I'd take it back and get a fuel pressure gauge kit. They have a lot of adapters for different fuel systems. I didn't have the needed adapter for my '93 GMC so I rented a kit at O'Reilly's. I used the adapter, took the set back and bought the adapter from Summit.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:56 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I don't think I've ever tried to test fuel pressure with an oil pressure gauge. I'm not sure it would read correctly. I have two sets of refrigerant gauge sets for a/c systems. The R-12 gauges won't work with R-134 and vice versa. The substances have different specific gravities. Plus the gasoline will be a lot thinner and and acts as a solvent. It may ruin the gauge. As for being in the vehicle, I've always unhooked the original gauge and installed an outside gauge at the oil port.

If it's a rental tool, I'd take it back and get a fuel pressure gauge kit. They have a lot of adapters for different fuel systems. I didn't have the needed adapter for my '93 GMC so I rented a kit at O'Reilly's. I used the adapter, took the set back and bought the adapter from Summit.
I do plan on renting the gauge. I own the set pictured. It's a cheap Harbor freight job. If it had the adapter, I would use it. Gas and oil are both liquids and should exert the same type of hydraulic pressure. Refrigerant is gas and oil mix, as far as I know, so different type of pressure.

As far as far as installing gauges... I don't know what you mean by installing an outside gauge (that's what I consider a test gauge... install it, get the reading, disconnect and put it away). Do you route it into the interior? If so, I would only go with gauges that read off a sender. I would not route any flammable liquid into the cabin, which oil is, let alone gasoline... maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-02-2021 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:11 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Is the fuel pump under the cab on a QC? I know RC and CC it's under the bed - and lifting the bed is WAY easier than dropping the tank.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:21 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

I do plan on renting the gauge. I own the set pictured. It's a cheap Harbor freight job. If it had the adapter, I would use it. Gas and oil are both liquids and should exert the same type of hydraulic pressure. Refrigerant is gas and oil mix, as far as I know, so different type of pressure.

As far as far as installing gauges... I don't know what you mean by installing an outside gauge (that's what I consider a test gauge... install it, get the reading, disconnect and put it away). Do you route it into the interior? If so, I would only go with gauges that read off a sender. I would not route any flammable liquid into the cabin, which oil is, let alone gasoline... maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

Install, read and unhook is what I meant. As for in cab installation, I prefer electric gauges just because they are easier to install and use. More accurate most of the time. I remember the old fluid pressure gauges. Look at a truck or car from the 1950's or earlier. Trying to remove one without breaking the tube is a challenge.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump finally dying @ 320K?