2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New to me QC 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 09:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
Pics of my first 4.7 QC... Have some pics somewhere of Jr & I "wheeling" in the dry lake bed, that was a fun day. Jr loved that truck.

That's looks really nice. Wish my truck were in that good of shape.

Old 10-02-2021, 04:35 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Yeah that was back in 2007 or so... it was a MY 2000 truck. It had an AWD transfer case.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:27 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I've dealt with small evap leak. Usually the under hood hoses and those underneath by the gas tank are cracked and leaking by now. Squeeze every inch of them and look for cracks, especially near the ends. If you find any, cut off and reattach Some hoses run under the battery tray too. I greatly reduced the frequency of the codes by eliminating the leaks, but they didn't completely disappear till I replaced the leak detection pump, which is underneath the truck, roughly below the driver's seat. The pumps are shared among many dodge vehicles.... I got mine from an 09' junkyard PT cruiser.

The 4.7L will last you a very long time with basic maintenance. By this I mean simply keeping the oil and coolant topped up. Try to never overheat it. I wouldn't run anything but full synthetic (I use 0W20). I'm still on the original chains at 325K. Original motor and tranny too (no rebuilds). Heck, even the starter is original. Most work I've ever done was replacing lifters at 300K when one finally failed and kicked out a rocker. She drives better and better as the years go by. I've driven much newer trucks that are not even close to how this one feels.
The LDP, on the '00-02 it appears that the LDP is under the battery, do you know if they moved it starting in '03?

I had a small leak code for a bit, thought I had it fixed, let the little woman use the truck while I worked on her jeep. She put ~40-50 miles on it over 2 days and when it came back, no codes. 3 days later with me doing shorter trips, no codes. Then fixing a temporary hose mend with a perm solution, the code came back and a large leak came back. Both continue to repeat. I found the main vacuum line going to the intake in the firewall passenger side area has a very loose fitting, have not fixed it yet so I dont know if that is the cause. It is definitely shot on the end, the temporary fix is to e-tape it and clamp it with a spring clamp. I am thinking of following your foot steps and just order up all the hoses under there and swap them all out and be done with it... until I'm not.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:33 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
The LDP, on the '00-02 it appears that the LDP is under the battery, do you know if they moved it starting in '03?

I had a small leak code for a bit, thought I had it fixed, let the little woman use the truck while I worked on her jeep. She put ~40-50 miles on it over 2 days and when it came back, no codes. 3 days later with me doing shorter trips, no codes. Then fixing a temporary hose mend with a perm solution, the code came back and a large leak came back. Both continue to repeat. I found the main vacuum line going to the intake in the firewall passenger side area has a very loose fitting, have not fixed it yet so I dont know if that is the cause. It is definitely shot on the end, the temporary fix is to e-tape it and clamp it with a spring clamp. I am thinking of following your foot steps and just order up all the hoses under there and swap them all out and be done with it... until I'm not.
Not sure of the location on previous years. There are also evap hoses underneath, down near the gas tank. I didn't buy any hoses, just cut em off and reattached, then zip tied the ends. They usually crack at the ends.

The following users liked this post:
steve05ram360 (10-13-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 11:56 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

transfer case fluid swap done... sigh... fluid came out awful dark...

power steering flush ongoing. fluid is also dark. not breaking the system open, just vacuming out the resi and fill.

still on the plate, trans service, brake flush and front diff service. both diffs will get a couple of fluid swaps before going to royal purple for the final fill

Old 10-18-2021, 08:16 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

New to me 265/75-16's... Mazama E rated Open Range ATs, had slight rubbing on the mud flaps that were going to be removed anyways, removed and no rub. Still plan to crank bars a tad bit to bring up front for added clearance.

Before...

After...

The following 2 users liked this post by steve05ram360:
Dodgevity (10-25-2021), V8Cowboy (10-19-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 11:24 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Update... so I think the next thing on the list is the wheel bearings, one is bad and I'm sure the other is not far behind.

What I think is left:
  • Wheel bearings
  • Front diff service -> swap to royal purple 75w-90 (my preference
  • Rear diff service -> swap to RP
  • Finish power steering flush
  • Fix EVAP code problem
  • Smoke test the engine for vacuum leaks

Then
  • Plug swap
  • Cam & Crank sensor swaps
  • CT sensor swap (eventually, it is only showing a problem on warmup around 150*f, no glitches at operating temp)
  • o2 Sensor swap

Then baseline for mpg numbers.

On the Cam & Crank sensors, what are the preferred sensors?

I had issues with NTK's on the Cummins motor, magnet was not strong enough to give a solid signal back to the ECU. Took a video (tried to find it to link here but uh...) to show the differences between the NTK magnet strength and the cummins part strength and it was clear when you see it.

Last edited by steve05ram360; 10-24-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

For cam and crank sensors, Mopar sensors only. The aftermarket fellers just don't seem to work as well. Also, if they aren't giving you a problem, just leave 'em there. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Old 10-24-2021, 11:34 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by HeyYou
For cam and crank sensors, Mopar sensors only. The aftermarket fellers just don't seem to work as well. Also, if they aren't giving you a problem, just leave 'em there. Don't fix what ain't broke.
Thanks for the heads up on the sensors...

They are going to get swapped anyway, "working or not". What happens to them is as they age the field strength of the magnet deteriorates and the actual rise time of the sensor starts shifting causing timing to slip. Swapping in new sensors brings them back in alignment. The main reason is 2 fold, 1 keep it crisp and 2 prep for diving into tuning it with HP tuners. When I swapped them out on the ram i had to go back and re-tune the timing on it, it was out pretty good and it rattled. Granted those sensors had 440k on them but still... assuming they are original, they are done from my perspective being nearly 20 years old.

edit: forgot to ask, are they a PITA to change? On the ram, the crank was 5 minutes, cam nearly 2 hours... mainly because it was difficult to get the screw back in with the location of the stupid thing.

Old 10-24-2021, 11:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Interesting. I was not aware of that particular aspect of hall-effect sensors.

I don't think they are as bad on the 4.7, simply because they are located in "more accessible" spots. I think..... Haven't had the (dis?)pleasure of working on one o' them fellers.

Quick Reply: New to me QC 4wd