2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

03 Dakota Cab Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 04:18 PM
ohthreedakota
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 Dakota Cab Mounts

Hello, I'm new here. Just picked up a pretty clean 2003 Dakota. The only spot I'm a little worried about is some rust on the cab mounts and the frame. Are these mounts salvageable with a little TLC? Or am I looking at some bigger surgery?

Old 01-09-2022, 04:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Clean 'em up, and paint 'em, should last several more years.

Old 01-10-2022, 11:02 AM
V8Cowboy
Professional
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Very nice truck,

Got to remove as much rust as possible, with a steel brush on a grinder or something like it.

When cleaned and looking at bear metal you can investigate if there's real damage from the rust, but by the looks of it you should be okay.

Depends on conditions you drive the truck for wich paint or coating u are going to use, we have winters with snow and ice, so i usually put on something like a tar based undercoating, they used on ships.
You could also buy underbody coating products or a decent metal primer, if you wan't you could paint it

Old 01-10-2022, 04:06 PM
ohthreedakota
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the replies. I am in Ohio so we definitely get snow. I’m going to get in there with a small steel brush and do exactly what you said. Thanks for the tip on the tar based coating.

Originally Posted by V8Cowboy
Very nice truck,

Got to remove as much rust as possible, with a steel brush on a grinder or something like it.

When cleaned and looking at bear metal you can investigate if there's real damage from the rust, but by the looks of it you should be okay.

Depends on conditions you drive the truck for wich paint or coating u are going to use, we have winters with snow and ice, so i usually put on something like a tar based undercoating, they used on ships.
You could also buy underbody coating products or a decent metal primer, if you wan't you could paint it

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (01-10-2022)

Quick Reply: 03 Dakota Cab Mounts