2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7 updated rockers with smaller orafice question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022 | 11:57 PM
04quad4.7

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Yeah, the driver's side valve cover is no fun. You have to loosen the brake MC so it moves around enough to get the cover to clear. The radiator is actually single core, but the single core is a bit thicker even than the two core OEM. Still 2 is better.... more surface area, but it's as good as a single core gets. Look at the parts store junk and you'll see the difference in specs.

Was surprised to see the lights are still on sale. I've had mine 9 years now and they've held up very well.
https://www.amazon.com/Durango-Repla.../dp/B004W5TQF4
If the link doesn't work, search Amazon for "Dodge Dakota/Durango Replacement Headlight Assembly (Diamond Design, Black)" and look for the smoky gray lights.
I'm definitely not welcoming that journey then. I'll stick with the Rad and headlights ($150) for now. Plus her Civic needs a timing belt change, which, all indications, seems to be fairly simple, just have to break "that" nut. Plus, interference engine 😕. Again, different dealer, $1200, Parts kit (rock auto) $100. I guess $1200 is the trend.

Old 04-02-2022 | 02:47 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Not meaning to scare you off doing the job. It's not technically difficult, just very tedious.

Forgot...you will also need one of these and an air compressor to keep up the valves. Either that are you can try that rope trick. That didn't work for me...
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-02-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2022 | 10:46 AM
edsdakota
|

Not meaning to scare you off doing the job. It's not technically difficult, just very tedious.

Forgot...you will also need one of these and an air compressor to keep up the valves. Either that are you can try that rope trick. That didn't work for me... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have one on the way.

It doesn’t scare me. I’m actually looking for a crew cab donor truck to rebuild the rear end and front diff as well as the engine and transmission. It will be the host for a 4bt Cummins, nv4500 and Dana 44’s.

Old 04-03-2022 | 06:34 PM
Vimes
Veteran

Thanks. I watched a lot of his videos before starting the job. The rockers get plenty of lubrication when the lifters are fully primed. Ever heard "the most wear occurs at startup?" Well that is exactly what's happening with the lifters. When you park your car overnight, etc, the oil drains out of them and this is the clattering you hear till they fill. Once the engine is running for a few minutes, everything is lubed, so this is why I don't get the point of the revised rocker... if anything, it looks like they might impede oil from being drawn into the lifters..
The lifters get pressurized oil forced inside when running, so the size of the hole isn't going to matter. Where the smaller hole will matter is on shutdown. It will be harder for all the oil to bleed back out, so there will be more oil inside the lifter on startup the next morning. Left long enough and it'll still bleed down, but the smaller hole means it'll take longer to do so.

Old 04-03-2022 | 07:09 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by Vimes
The lifters get pressurized oil forced inside when running, so the size of the hole isn't going to matter. Where the smaller hole will matter is on shutdown. It will be harder for all the oil to bleed back out, so there will be more oil inside the lifter on startup the next morning. Left long enough and it'll still bleed down, but the smaller hole means it'll take longer to do so.
So the hole we were discussing is in the rocker arm where it contacts the lifter. As I understand it, the oil enters thru that little hole in the side (see lifter on left), then eventually exits thru the top. The lifter sits vertically (well sideways, actually), so I don't think the rocker has anything to do with the leak down.

These lifters for the 4.7L are the same brand and part number, however the one on the left is considered the improved version. Notice the smaller hole at the top. I guess the lifter on the left should keep a better pressure than the right.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-03-2022 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2022 | 07:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not sure why they would change that hole size.... all the valving is below there, in the lifter body itself, so the size of that hole just shouldn't matter when it comes to lifter bleed-down.....

The following users liked this post:
edsdakota (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022 | 07:52 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not sure why they would change that hole size.... all the valving is below there, in the lifter body itself, so the size of that hole just shouldn't matter when it comes to lifter bleed-down.....
I should mention that these are not Mopar lifters... brand is Sealed Power/Federal Mogul. When I put them in, the parts store had 15 of the new design and one of the old. Tried finding the newer one everywhere and could not. Just in case, I put the old one in the most accessible place... passenger side valve cover, top right.. Don't you know it?...I think that's the one that's ticking now. Engine sounds like direct injection engine for the first few minutes and it sounds like a single lifter. I've listened to it with a mechanic's stethoscope. Will have to go back in this summer.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-04-2022 at 07:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
edsdakota (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022 | 07:05 PM
04quad4.7

Forgot...you will also need one of these and an air compressor to keep up the valves. Either that are you can try that rope trick. That didn't work for me... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just added it to the cart. Might as well tackle the seals also.

Old 04-04-2022 | 07:10 PM
04quad4.7

https://www.drivparts.com/brands.html
For reference ... they own several companies. As for lifters, was looking at Sealed Power also. Rockers?

Old 04-04-2022 | 07:36 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Valve stem seals...

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Lifters
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Did not replace the rockers, not even the one that ejected. It was undamaged.

Quick Reply: 4.7 updated rockers with smaller orafice question