2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

4.7 updated rockers with smaller orafice question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022 | 08:30 PM
edsdakota
|
Default 4.7 updated rockers with smaller orafice question

Ok, I’m about to change all of my lifters to new Mopar and was thinking about swapping in new rockers with the updated/smaller orafice. Does anyone know if the Mopar rockers that are available for the 2000 Dak 4.7 have the smaller hole? For informations sake the truck has over 317k on it and has the lifter tik when cold but goes away after warmed up, I know I could just find the offending lifter, but tend to overdo everything and it cheap insurance to go ahead and replace all the lifters and my thought was also to update to rockers also.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2022 | 08:49 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by edsdakota
I know I could just find the offending lifter, but tend to overdo everything and it cheap insurance to go ahead and replace all the lifters and my thought was also to update to rockers also.
Firstly, all your lifters are offending at this point. My advice, do it quickly. I replaced all my lifters in 2020 with over 300K mi. One lifter had locked up and ejected the rocker but there was no damage, even though I was an idiot and drove it home from work misfiring. Couldn't budge the frozen lifter...the rest were no longer springy.

I didn't replace the rockers, but I did replace all the valve springs and valve stem seals. You really should replace the seals as they are probably leaking at this point. You don't want to do this twice. What do the smaller holes do?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-30-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2022 | 09:05 PM
edsdakota
|

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Firstly, all your lifters are offending at this point. My advice, do it quickly. I replaced all my lifters in 2020 with over 300K mi. One lifter had locked up and ejected the rocker but there was no damage, even though I was an idiot and drove it home from work misfiring. Couldn't budge the frozen lifter...the rest were no longer springy.

I didn't replace the rockers, but I did replace all the valve springs and valve stem seals. You really should replace the seals as they are probably leaking at this point. You don't want to do this twice. What do the smaller holes do?
Thanks, I’ll do that, replace the valve springs and seals. If it’s going to add life to the engine and since I’ve got the valve covers off might as well. Where did you purchase the springs and seals?

From what I understand the rockers with the smaller orafice increase the oil pressure in the lifter so they are better lubricated. I think it was a fix for the issue that these engines had with lifter lifespan.

Old 03-30-2022 | 09:29 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

I don't know that the springs were truly necessary. They are Mopar and I purchased from a dodge dealer (Athens Dodge Jeep Ram). Part # 53020749-AC
Stem seals are Fel-pro SS 71041. Got them from Advance

You'll need a combo valve tool .... "Rocker Arm Remover Installer & Valve Spring Tool 4 Dodge, Jeep 3.7 & 4.7" .... sorry, the Amazon link no longer works but search for it.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ine-issue.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-not-soak.html

The seals made the job much harder, but you definitely don't want to skip them. After replacing them and the valve cover gaskets, No more occasional puff of smoke when moving off. I also no longer add oil between changes.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-30-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2022 | 09:34 AM
edsdakota
|

[QUOTE=Dodgevity;3540832]I don't know that the springs were truly necessary. They are Mopar and I purchased from a dodge dealer (Athens Dodge Jeep Ram). Part # 53020749-AC
Stem seals are Fel-pro SS 71041. Got them from Advance

You'll need a combo valve tool .... "Rocker Arm Remover Installer & Valve Spring Tool 4 Dodge, Jeep 3.7 & 4.7" .... sorry, the Amazon link no longer works but search for it.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ine-issue.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-not-soak.html

The seals made the job much harder, but you definitely don't want to skip them. After replacing them and the valve cover gaskets, No more occasional puff of smoke when moving off. I also no longer add oil between changes.[/QUOTE

Thanks, I ordered the tool not long ago and will be ordering springs and seals as soon as I’m back home. Again, thanks for the info.

I think I’m going to message Martin of martinbuilt on YouTube about the rocker arm question, seems he’s pretty knowledgeable about these engines. Will post back here with the answer.

Old 03-31-2022 | 06:41 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

From what I understand the rockers with the smaller orafice increase the oil pressure in the lifter so they are better lubricated. I think it was a fix for the issue that these engines had with lifter lifespan.
My lifters got replaced at 313K. I'd call that a pretty good lifespan. The lifters are hydraulic and tend to lose prime as the engine sits off, so you'll get the cold clatter till they prime up and fill with oil again. I don't see how rockers will help with that.

Old 03-31-2022 | 08:36 PM
04quad4.7

Ok, I’m about to change all of my lifters to new Mopar and was thinking about swapping in new rockers with the updated/smaller orafice. Does anyone know if the Mopar rockers that are available for the 2000 Dak 4.7 have the smaller hole? For informations sake the truck has over 317k on it and has the lifter tik when cold but goes away after warmed up, I know I could just find the offending lifter, but tend to overdo everything and it cheap insurance to go ahead and replace all the lifters and my thought was also to update to rockers also.

Thanks
Have to look into adding links. Anyway, just copy/paste the following on youtube (search). Channel should be Martinbuilt, found to be very informative.

Remove & Replace Lifters & Rockers on a 4.7 & 3.7 Jeep Dodge Chrysler & Mitsubishi

Last edited by 04quad4.7; 03-31-2022 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2022 | 09:30 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Thanks. I watched a lot of his videos before starting the job. The rockers get plenty of lubrication when the lifters are fully primed. Ever heard "the most wear occurs at startup?" Well that is exactly what's happening with the lifters. When you park your car overnight, etc, the oil drains out of them and this is the clattering you hear till they fill. Once the engine is running for a few minutes, everything is lubed, so this is why I don't get the point of the revised rocker... if anything, it looks like they might impede oil from being drawn into the lifters.

Be wary of videos that show you the rosy pic of having the engine out and items already stripped. LOL. His rocker removal works if all you're doing is replacing the lifter. Getting down to the valve stem seals requires removing the spring. When you have to compress the spring enough to remove the keepers, it's on a whole different level than just removing rockers...those you can pop in an out by rotating the cams. To use the combo tool and get full leverage/travel on it, I had to remove the fuel rails. Also getting the keepers back in is a whole nother story. You'll understand once you're in there.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-31-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2022 | 10:14 PM
04quad4.7

Yeah, just came across his channel last night. Looked at the journey I'll have to take to get the covers off, don't really care for it. I'm not heading to the heads yet, eventually. Hell, I've had enough trouble figuring out what to do with the radiator replacement thing. Did take your CSF (3516) advice. With all being equal plus being heavy-duty (2-row core) which I needed, just going to cap off the integrated trans cooler ports, use the existing external one. Dealer, $1200 to replace. Summit, $130. Curious, what brand of headlights? I definitely need to replace.

Last edited by 04quad4.7; 03-31-2022 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2022 | 11:14 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by 04quad4.7
Yeah, just came across his channel last night. Looked at the journey I'll have to take to get the covers off, don't really care for it. I'm not heading to the heads yet, eventually. Hell, I've had enough trouble figuring out what to do with the radiator replacement thing. Did take your CSF (3516) advice. With all being equal plus being heavy-duty (2-row core) which I needed, just going to cap off the integrated trans cooler ports, use the existing external one. Dealer, $1200 to replace. Summit, $130. Curious, what brand of headlights? I definitely need to replace.
Yeah, the driver's side valve cover is no fun. You have to loosen the brake MC so it moves around enough to get the cover to clear. The radiator is actually single core, but the single core is a bit thicker even than the two core OEM. Still 2 is better.... more surface area, but it's as good as a single core gets. Look at the parts store junk and you'll see the difference in specs.

Was surprised to see the lights are still on sale. I've had mine 9 years now and they've held up very well.
Amazon Amazon
If the link doesn't work, search Amazon for "Dodge Dakota/Durango Replacement Headlight Assembly (Diamond Design, Black)" and look for the smoky gray lights.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-31-2022 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.7 updated rockers with smaller orafice question