2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 dodge Dakota shift problems no codes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022 | 09:33 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by hidden1
Never use new off brand sensors ..ur better off with oem used than dualast new ..sometimes denso works or NTK but nothing competes w oem .

Does it do fine in reverse also?
That spring is a common failure in these trucks ..
yea fluid change is good- 2 different times to get to it all.

It would help to know what the spring is for and where it goes if that maybe are issue I would like to be able to look at it, I just dropped the tranny pan and found no metal bits or shavings however there is now fresh atf fluid in it, and a new gasket which is probably getting replaced again when trying to find the spring. However already had plans of refreshing the tranny in 5 days and refreshing the fluid again

Old 05-21-2022 | 09:54 PM
supadoom
Veteran

The spring is for the accumulator valve. As I understand it, its purpose is to keep the valve from smashing into the case. Drop the pan and look toward the valve body. It will be a a plastic or metal cylinder near the edge. You pull that out and it should have a spring inside. If the system has to do a really hard shift it can cause the plunger to spike so hard it smashes the spring. There is a guy on youtube called precision transmission that does really good teardown videos. He doesn't have one for a 45RFE or 545RFE but you can get a pretty good idea what to look for from watching his videos. He's got one on the 46RE which was the one for the 318 and 360.

Old 05-21-2022 | 11:41 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by supadoom
The spring is for the accumulator valve. As I understand it, its purpose is to keep the valve from smashing into the case. Drop the pan and look toward the valve body. It will be a a plastic or metal cylinder near the edge. You pull that out and it should have a spring inside. If the system has to do a really hard shift it can cause the plunger to spike so hard it smashes the spring. There is a guy on youtube called precision transmission that does really good teardown videos. He doesn't have one for a 45RFE or 545RFE but you can get a pretty good idea what to look for from watching his videos. He's got one on the 46RE which was the one for the 318 and 360.
Thank you for your help I'm aware of the issue with this part but wasn't aware it was from a spring now that I know this I'm 100% sure this is the issue. Now the question I have because I'm an idiot when it comes to understanding small detail but for some reason get massive ones no issue.... is the spring inside or outside the cylinder if inside is it replaceable or do I need to buy a new one?

Old 05-21-2022 | 11:44 PM
hidden1
Captain
Default Spring

Its very easy to open that an see an replace spring

Mine was in 3 pieces an YES it can impact the build up before a shift!

Last edited by hidden1; 05-21-2022 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2022 | 12:09 AM
hidden1
Captain

I literally looked at one that was like mine in a junkyard as i got another overdrive ..heres where its at ..
just take those cover screws off

10$ part new an worth looking at
..Its not a bad idea to get a kit with sensors an all other shift impacting parts/sensors

Last edited by hidden1; 05-22-2022 at 12:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
scornedlodas (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022 | 07:19 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

I literally looked at one that was like mine in a junkyard as i got another overdrive ..heres where its at ..
just take those cover screws off

10$ part new an worth looking at
..Its not a bad idea to get a kit with sensors an all other shift impacting parts/sensors

The spring is destroyed which makes me a little concerned, it was like someone took a hydraulic press to it like 7 times. I'm starting to think it maybe best to take the tranny in for inspection. In the area I'm at there is a tranny shop the does free diagnostic I learned about them 3 months ago they're called ABC transmission however I have heard mixed reviews about them, some people say they are great with diagnostic but never let them actually work on your tranny because their mechanics are ****** others say their mechanics do great work when they just tear the whole thing down and rebuild it but don't trust their diagnostic work.... so I don't know what to do just replace the spring call it good see how things go, or have a diagnostic done and let the shop do a "rebuild" of the needed parts and no more. When I called them and talked to them about it 5 days ago. They said diagnostic is 100% free, a full rebuild on the specific tranny in the truck is 850$, to repair just what's needed could be anywhere from, $100 for simple part replacement and time to $400 for a few hard parts and some simple parts. Anything more they just charge and do a full rebuild

Old 05-22-2022 | 07:29 PM
hidden1
Captain

Try it out with a new inexpensive spirng an change the filter an use fresh fluid -- an see if it shifts smooth..was there anything in the pan after you pulled it ?

Shift solonoid an governor is easy too but 1st try accumulator spring ./ test.

Last edited by hidden1; 05-22-2022 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2022 | 08:00 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Try it out with a new inexpensive spirng an change the filter an use fresh fluid -- an see if it shifts smooth..was there anything in the pan after you pulled it ?

Alright sounds like a plan thank you

Old 05-23-2022 | 03:45 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Ps to answer your question no nothing was in the pan, no metal shavings no metal chunks no burnt plastic or any of that

Old 05-27-2022 | 08:38 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Truck is running amazingly now thank you all for your help, as for the start issue it was indeed a bad relay the starter still kicks no problem. Only issue we have now is over gapped plugs all on the left engine bank somehow... don't understand that one when we bought two packs of pregapped double Plat plugs the right side is perfect left is over gapped all cylinders.

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge Dakota shift problems no codes.