2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 dodge Dakota shift problems no codes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022 | 08:57 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur
Default 2001 dodge Dakota shift problems no codes.

Hi all I have posted here a few times in the past for my roommate, about his 2001 dodge Dakota 2wd with 4hi 4lo. He has a 4.7l engine and what for the most seems like a great condition tranny as well, minus one issue. After resloving a few issue we were having with his truck in the past hoping it would fix this issue it has not.

Problem, it seems no matter what we do to repair this truck at this point it refuses to shift no matter what, it well build speed no issues, it never loses speed once it reaches a speed limit there no bogging no hesitation from the engine period, however the truck refuses to shift. In order to get from one gear to another you need to basically red line the rpms building speed then basically as fast as your foot let's you take your foot off the gas and slam the gas again to force shift the truck but again once it is shifted builds speed and holds no problem want to shift again do the same thing... Down shifting has no problems it just refuses to shift up in gears

We just replaced the crankshaft position sensor as well this still didn't reslove our issue

Last edited by scornedlodas; 05-12-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2022 | 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have a scanner that can read live data? Would be interesting to see what the PCM thinks is going on. Is it getting the correct vehicle speed? Are transmission pressures correct? No codes imply that the PCM thinks it's "doing the right thing"...... even though it isn't.

Old 05-13-2022 | 04:06 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have a scanner that can read live data? Would be interesting to see what the PCM thinks is going on. Is it getting the correct vehicle speed? Are transmission pressures correct? No codes imply that the PCM thinks it's "doing the right thing"...... even though it isn't.
Okay so here's something odd, we fixed most the issues with the truck to the point that we cleared all the codes off of it. It was running great minus the shifting issue for the past week since we repaired it. However now it basically went right back to some of the same stuff we were having issues with a week ago and it just randomly started today. The thing is, most of it seems to be power related. Not all of it some of it maybe mechanical just aren't aware of it yet.
However about a week ago we did yet again another tune up, replacing the plugs, replacing oil, check fuses "but not relays yet", only bad relay that we no of is blinker. The truck has a brand new 1000cca marine life battery at 12amps, has a brand new crank shaft position sensor, has a brand new speed/abs sensors in the rear diff, has a brand new master brake cylinder, and we had check the ground wires everything seems to be fine there I had to rehang part of the ground against the back fire wall when putting the new battery in I noticed it was hanging behind the engine because the clip the held it where it was broke so I took a washer and nut and put it back up where it belonged.
And I forgot to say when I say we went basically back to step one I mean This morning the truck has gone back to not wanting to fire over, it will start doing the whole click issue where turn the key in the ignition all you get is clicking till you play the key game again

Last edited by scornedlodas; 05-13-2022 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2022 | 05:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the solenoid on the starter clicking, or is it just the relay in the PDC?

Old 05-13-2022 | 10:14 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the solenoid on the starter clicking, or is it just the relay in the PDC?
The starter is just clicking randomly, when we put the brand new battery in a week ago this issue went away and hasn't had any similar problems since the new battery, crank shaft position sensor and rear diff sensor, there weren't any signs of start issues it was just the shift issue, like 2hrs Afters posting about the shift problem the start issue came back well my roommate was at work note the truck never won't start, just fights it till he plays the kay game with it " turning the ignition on and off 5 times before actually cranking the truck"

Old 05-13-2022 | 10:28 PM
hidden1
Captain

Could be accumulator spring or tranny sensor on no shift.
Did you use OEM sensors?
Also check grounds an ignition wiring AFTER you get starter an solenoid tested.
On relays just change out with identicle that works an test that one .

Last edited by hidden1; 05-13-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2022 | 09:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would swap the starter relay with another one, and see if it's attitude improves.

The following users liked this post:
hidden1 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-17-2022 | 11:17 AM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by hidden1
Could be accumulator spring or tranny sensor on no shift.
Did you use OEM sensors?
Also check grounds an ignition wiring AFTER you get starter an solenoid tested.
On relays just change out with identicle that works an test that one .
All of the sensors that have been replaced on the truck have been Denso or duralast if I can't find a Denso brand
Can old atf fluid cause no shifts, the tranny doesn't seem to be affected much it just refuses to shift could it be from old fluided?

Old 05-17-2022 | 11:51 AM
hidden1
Captain

Never use new off brand sensors ..ur better off with oem used than dualast new ..sometimes denso works or NTK but nothing competes w oem .

Does it do fine in reverse also?
That spring is a common failure in these trucks ..
yea fluid change is good- 2 different times to get to it all.

Last edited by hidden1; 05-17-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-17-2022 | 05:56 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by hidden1
Never use new off brand sensors ..ur better off with oem used than dualast new ..sometimes denso works or NTK but nothing competes w oem .

Does it do fine in reverse also?
That spring is a common failure in these trucks ..
yea fluid change is good- 2 different times to get to it all.

Reverse works great the only problem we have when it comes to the truck running, is the shift it will down shift perfectly reverse works great only thing is shift up through gears. As for getting the truck running the only problem we have is getting it to turn over every now and then. However we are going to be replacing the starter and starter relay on his pay day

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge Dakota shift problems no codes.