2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 dodge Dakota shift problems no codes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2022 | 09:04 PM
hidden1
Captain

Great to hear that the accumulator spring i mentioned helped👍

Go with NGK .040 single tip basic plugs or copper champions[ not my fave]..These trucks are picky with plugs an can not fire evenly with newer style ones.

Last edited by hidden1; 05-27-2022 at 09:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scornedlodas (05-27-2022)
Old 05-31-2022 | 11:41 AM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by hidden1
Try it out with a new inexpensive spirng an change the filter an use fresh fluid -- an see if it shifts smooth..was there anything in the pan after you pulled it ?

Shift solonoid an governor is easy too but 1st try accumulator spring ./ test.
Back to square one yet again with the truck starting, this time I noticed something new though,this time the truck again did the click issue when it comes to trying to start it again, and again it never fails to start it will just sit there and click for a minute trying to turn the ignition, then will randomly decide ok this turn I will crank. But this time I was staring intently at the dash and noticed the gear collum that gives you park reverse neutral drive and all that randomly flashes through all steps. It will start in neutral and flash to drive then 1 2 and then reverse and stop on park... But once all this is said and done the truck will run and drive no problem I don't understand what's going on with the click start at this point relay is new starter is new battery is new I have no idea what to do at this point all grounds are good

Old 05-31-2022 | 11:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Does yours have the electronic PRNDL? if so, it might be the trans range sensor (the part that tells the PCM what gear the trans is in) failing.

hidden1 (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022 | 12:07 PM
hidden1
Captain

Yea as Hey You said it may be that electronicpart in shifter or tranny range sensor.
Sometimes the contacts at ignition,an key, get shot or dirty an impact the signal to start.
Is it a smooth key turn on each point or does it have a slight stick to it?
Be sure all grounds are secure too.

Last edited by hidden1; 05-31-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2022 | 12:17 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by hidden1
Yea as Hey You said it may be that electronicpart in shifter.
Sometimes the contacts at ignition,an key, get shot or dirty an impact the signal to start.
Is it a smooth key turn on each point or does it have a slight stick to it?
The ignition cylinder doesn't have any problems it spins freely with no issues, the only problem we have at this point is it just deciding on it's own if it wants to start or click, but other then that everything seems great, so sound like replacing another sensor I take it the sensor you guys are referring to is the one sticking out the side of the tranny

Old 05-31-2022 | 01:05 PM
hidden1
Captain

Yes try another identicle one,oem. But 1st,if you have a digital meter , test for proper signal at harness at each key turn. an especially check at connector for a good ground.An try in neutral also ,an drive - should show different on any drive an reverse vs park an neutral .
That could have factored that problem with downshift too ,because the tranny reacts if its gone from drive to neutral ..accumulator spring is impacted if its going fast an that happens [ yours was busted up bad ]..

--for the low cost a. id stick one on it OEM off a used identical dakota to rule it out ,-after checking for correct signal in Park an Drive An testing what HeyYou said with relay an starter relay.. but Ill bet that factored the busted accumulator spring / shift change !

Last edited by hidden1; 05-31-2022 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2022 | 02:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Does the starter click? Or do you hear it from somewhere else? There is a starter relay in the PDC, and if that is clicking, then the park/neutral safety is working, and your problem lies elsewhere. (though, given the behavior of your PRNDL, I would suspect that range sensor anyway..... )

hidden1 (05-31-2022)
Old 06-01-2022 | 12:45 AM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Does the starter click? Or do you hear it from somewhere else? There is a starter relay in the PDC, and if that is clicking, then the park/neutral safety is working, and your problem lies elsewhere. (though, given the behavior of your PRNDL, I would suspect that range sensor anyway..... )
So he said he has already tried starting the truck in neutral, in drive, and, in reverse. From my tired state what I have gather is in drive and reverse there is no ignition at all in neutral he still, gets a random click if it so decidess

Old 06-01-2022 | 10:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by scornedlodas
So he said he has already tried starting the truck in neutral, in drive, and, in reverse. From my tired state what I have gather is in drive and reverse there is no ignition at all in neutral he still, gets a random click if it so decidess
If that's the case, then testing voltage at the solenoid with the key in start would be my next step. Need at least 9 volts to engage the solenoid.

scornedlodas (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022 | 07:54 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If that's the case, then testing voltage at the solenoid with the key in start would be my next step. Need at least 9 volts to engage the solenoid.
Thank you for the suggestion however I don't have my own volto meter I was using a friends who has taken it back for his car right now Is there any other way of testing this?

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge Dakota shift problems no codes.