2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota 4.7L 4x4 random stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 06:27 PM
nugentro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dakota 4.7L 4x4 random stalling problem

Hello,

I have a 2000 Dakota with 111,000 miles and it has a stalling problem. The first time it happened it was a hot afternoon in July of last summer. I was pulling out of a restaurant parking lot onto the main road and everything was normal. Then the engine died and the check engine light came on, the engine started again right away, but the engine light stayed on. A few miles down the road it stalled again and this time I restarted the engine while coasting in neutral. I drove the remaining five-miles home and everything was otherwise normal.

The next day I drove it to the shop and they identified the code P0725 “engine speed input circuit malfunction”. The technician cleared the code but could not reproduce the stall condition and recommended replacing the crank position sensor, I agreed.

Everything was normal for the next six-weeks until it stalled while idling at a traffic light. The check engine light came on and it took about 90-seconds before it would start again. I brought it back to the shop and the code was identified as P0118 “engine coolant temperature circuit high input”. During this event it was not a particularly warm day and the engine temperature was normal. The technician could not reproduce the stalling condition and could not explain the different code, but offered to replace the cam position sensor free of charge assuming the first diagnosis and replacement of the crank position sensor was incorrect. They replaced the cam sensor and drove the truck randomly over the next two weeks but could not reproduce the problem.

Again, everything was normal until it stalled on the expressway in rush hour traffic. I was just able to put on the hazard lights and coast to the shoulder. This time there was no check engine light and the engine would not start again for about twenty-minutes. Once it did start again, I drove it directly to the shop. There was no code, and they could still not reproduce the issue.

The first two stalling events were kind of scary, but stalling on the freeway was extremely disturbing and dangerous. I’m the original owner, and the truck is in great shape, but if the problem cannot be identified and corrected, and I am quite sure it will not stall again, I’ll have to sell it as is. Thanks in advance if anyone could suggest a possible solution.

Regards,

Ron

Old 11-24-2022, 07:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Does it only stall when the engine is up to temp? After it has been running a while? The trick is going to be see what's missing when it won't start..... if the problem is present long enough to diagnose.... Intermittents are just such fun....

Old 11-24-2022, 08:25 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Cam sensor and possible issue with ECU, comes to mind. Be sure to use Mopar sensors. If it stalls again, have someone tap the ECU while cranking.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:45 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Random codes with sensors can sometimes be from a bad ground. Many sensors are often tied together for a ground. Check the firewall grounds on the top and bottom and see if you have some corrosion or loose bolts. Usually stalling after getting up to temp is a crank or cam sensor. More often the crank.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:30 PM
nugentro

HeyYou,

The first time it happened the engine was not up to operating temperature, but during the next two events it engine was at operating temperature.

Someone on another forum suggested visually inspecting the PCM, or sending it off to be inspected by a professional. I'd really like to keep the truck, its really scary when the engine dies on the freeway.

Thanks,

Ron

Old 11-25-2022, 08:34 PM
nugentro

Thanks! Someone from another forum suggested sending the PCM to a professional to have it tested.

Old 11-25-2022, 08:39 PM
nugentro

Supa,

Thanks, I'll check the grounds! Both the crank and cam position sensors were replaced in the initial diagnosis.

Thanks again!

Ron

Old 11-25-2022, 08:44 PM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Just remember that new does not mean good. I'm leaning towards this being a ground or a ECU issue due to the codes though.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota 4.7L 4x4 random stalling problem