2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission filter question & misc

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 04:12 PM
jcdaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission filter question & misc

2004 Dodge Dakota, 3.7L Engine with 42RLE transmission. New to me.

I'm getting ready to crack the transmission pan and change the filter/fluid. It all looks really straightforward and easy except I'm a little unclear on how to seat the new O-ring on the filter. Do you put the new O-Ring on the filter or on the transmission first? Any other general tips for this job that I should know?

Also wondering if I need limited slip additive for my rear (4x2) differential. It's the 8.25 version but my build sheet doesn't mention if it's limited slip or not. I'm guessing not but I want to be 100% sure. Also, does the rear diff use a gasket or RTV? I can't find one and google is being surprisingly unhelpful.

Thank you!

Old 07-11-2024, 04:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,298 Likes on 3,044 Posts

Put the o-ring on the filter. Make sure the old one comes out when you pull the filter. They like to stay in there, and cause you problems.

If it isn't mentioned, you likely don't have one then. You can get your build sheet from here, to know for sure. (all caps please, it IS case-sensitive) As for the friction modifier, you likely don't need it, but, it won't hurt anything if it is already in the fluid.

There is probably a gasket available.... in varying flavors and price levels. I always just used RTV.

Old 07-11-2024, 05:22 PM
jcdaw

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Put the o-ring on the filter. Make sure the old one comes out when you pull the filter. They like to stay in there, and cause you problems.

If it isn't mentioned, you likely don't have one then. You can get your build sheet from here, to know for sure. (all caps please, it IS case-sensitive) As for the friction modifier, you likely don't need it, but, it won't hurt anything if it is already in the fluid.

There is probably a gasket available.... in varying flavors and price levels. I always
just used RTV.

thanks! My build sheet says:

3.55 REAR AXLE RATIO
CORPORATE 8.25 REAR AXLE

Any idea what the corporate means? Guessing it doesn’t mean limited slip but I have no idea…

Old 07-11-2024, 06:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just means it was made by Chrysler. They also used Dana axles in a LOT of trucks.

Old 07-20-2024, 10:21 PM
jcdaw

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Just means it was made by Chrysler. They also used Dana axles in a LOT of trucks.
Hello again. I got this job done, but I realized that I possibly might have screwed something up. There is a tiny dimple on the transmission pan magnet, like a little bit smaller than a pencil eraser. Does that suggest that the orientation of the pan magnet (up or down) on the pan matters? I can't imagine that it matters since it sticks fine to the pan either way, but I don't know why else it would have a dimple. Thank you!

Here's an image I found online that illustrates what I'm talking about.

Last edited by jcdaw; 07-20-2024 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2024, 09:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: Transmission filter question & misc