2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine oil 101

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006 | 08:25 PM
spacejunkie84119
Default Engine oil 101

O.k., I've seen alot of posts touting the joys of synthetic oil over natural. So last weekend, I changed over to fully synthetic oil and now my 2004 4.7L Quad cab is running much quieter and smoother! So what's the deal? What is going on that makes synthetic so much better? I'm am a complete deadhead when it comes to mechanical stuff, so I never learned this. Any answers will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill in SLC

Old 01-19-2006 | 08:37 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Engine oil 101

I guess the best way I could explain it, and I dont know enough of the technical terms anyways, is that its just a better overall quality oil.

It's doesnt have the impurities like normal oil, its designed to perform at lower temperatures and to perform better at higher temperatures, it coats the engine much better due to the lack of impurities compared to normal oil, it's less viscous, and beyond that.....well....I'd have to look up all the technical b.s. to explain it..

When normal oil gets hot, it tends to break down alot faster....and doesnt coat the engine like it should....synthetic is designed to operate at higher temperatures, so its constantly a hot liquid rather then a thick soup....

also, since your engine parts are properly lubed, the rest of the parts that use oil also are getting their amount of oil as well, creating a happy engine that purrs instead of growls...

Old 01-19-2006 | 09:40 PM
dakotaboy

agree..............it is a lot more pure than original oil and it doesn't break down as fast either. i also heard that it coats the cylinders much better and is a better lubricant all around. GOOD STUFF ALL AROUND!

Old 01-20-2006 | 09:57 AM
horatio102
Champion

One of the reasons that it's better is that all of the molecules are uniform, like a bin full of BBs or marbles, instead of being random like gravel.

Old 01-20-2006 | 10:46 AM
BigE
Veteran

This is a quote from an old racer whom I have a lot of respect.

The term synthetic is marketing derived, there is no technical definition that describes what a synthetic oil is.

Base oils used for engine oils are defined as Group I, II, III & IV. The lowest quality base oil is the Group I and this is still the predominant base oil out there. The Oil that meet the automobile manufacturers recommendations (API Certification Mark) are manufactured from the higher quality base oils such as:

- SAE 5W-20 ILSAC GF-3 is made with either 100 % of Group II or a mixture of Groups II & III
- SAE 5W-30 ILSAC GF-3 is made with 100% of Group II
- SAE 10W-30 ILSAC GF-3 is made with either 100% Group II or a Mixture of Groups I & II

Mobil initiated the term synthetic for their Mobil 1 product and this oil was formulated with 100% of the Group IV base oil which is still considered the highest quality and the most costly. The Group III base oils have recently entered the market and have similar properties to the Group IV, but are less costly. Manufacturers are now claiming their oils to be synthetic if they contain Group III base oil. Each base oil group employs different refining processes.

Whether the oil manufacturer claims their product is synthetic or not is not the real issue. All engine oils have additive packages that provide the major portion of the oils performance characteristics. The base oil provides limited oxidation stability, viscosity and flow properties. Once the additive system in the oil is depleted through either extended use, high temperature operation, excessive contamination or all of these combined the base oil will turn to sludge regardless of type.

Higher performing base oils such as group III & IV excel where there are extremes such as racing applications where sustained viscosity at high temperature is critical or in areas of extreme cold where low temperature flow properties are important. There value in typical customer usage is limited. The most important thing a customer can do is identify their driving type, change the oil and filter at the correct interval and use a product that is recommended only by the automobile manufacturers.

Old 01-20-2006 | 02:41 PM
cbsaint
Rookie

ORIGINAL: horatio102

One of the reasons that it's better is that all of the molecules are uniform, like a bin full of BBs or marbles, instead of being random like gravel.
Absolutely right. A more accurate example is a box full of pieces of string. "Natural" oil has random lengths from super short to super long. Synthetic has pieces that are much more uniform in length and are also the "right" length. String that's too long gets tangled and knotted making a big mess. String can also break into smaller pieces when stressed, and tiny pieces of string aren't good for anything.

Old 04-12-2007 | 04:01 AM
DakotaRT03

lol... nice

Old 04-12-2007 | 04:13 AM
horatio102
Champion

Why are you bumping all kinds of old threads?

Old 04-12-2007 | 08:16 AM
BAnders
Veteran

hey would it hurt my engine if i switched to synthetic? 93 5.2 with 190,000 miles on it, i run 10w40 in it

Old 04-12-2007 | 01:05 PM
chris1974
Veteran

from what i've read....it would be stupid not to use synthetic. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: Engine oil 101