2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

fuel mileage question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:57 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fuel mileage question

do you all think that if i do some modifications to my air intake i might be able to squeeze a mile or 2 per gallon more out of my truck because if you ask me the air intake SUCKS on these trucks there is like no airflow in there its got the 5.2 and it gets like 14 highway and if i'm in the mud it gets really really really bad mileage...like i went down a 2 mile mud road and used 3 or 4 gallons of gas

Old 07-12-2006, 02:33 PM
lil
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fuel mileage question

Airaid CAI added 3MPG to mine but only if you don't get your foot into it.....if you do then the MGP goes the other way.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:35 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran

i have a 1999 5.2l 4x4 and everything stock (and in need of a tuneup) i was still getting 18MPG doing 80 on the freeway. i did a tuneup added the airaid CAI (thanks lil!) and while i havent tested my mileage yet it feels like theres a v8 under the hood now, sounds better and feels like its getting better mileage. i also ordered an under drive pulley, it spins your accessorys slower and reduces engine load and as a result give you power and mileage. after i install my pulley im going to do a mileage test, im shooting for 22MPG on the freeway

Old 07-12-2006, 09:44 PM
02Quad

Holy crap... I would love 22 mpg!!! The only time I get that is when I coast downhill

Old 07-12-2006, 09:54 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran

thats the goal, i should be testing this weekend. also forgot to mention that i have a leer bed shell, im sure that it helps the aerodynamics a bit

Old 07-13-2006, 04:54 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

for better mileage, shoot for more low end torque... my 360 was modded pretty well and i was still getting mid 14's at one point which is good for a 4x4 QC Ram.

couple of things i'd recommend... synthetics throughout, k&N intake kit, 50 mm TB, HD heads or r/t heads, mod your intake...cut the runners down 1~1.5", open up the injector ports and clean up the TB ports, 1.6 or 1.7 roller rockers and nothing bigger than a single 3" or 2.25" dual out exhaust flowing thru some gibson headers.

Old 07-15-2006, 04:27 AM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain

I will never ever use synthetic oil again it says 15,000 mile oil well i ran it for 7,000 and i made sure it was full all the time and u know what my engine started knocking and i had to rebuild it spun a rod bearing and i never reved my engine past 4 grand i've ran Castrol GTX ever sence and never had a problem MOBILE ONE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i didnt get any better mileage when i ran synthetic anyhow

Old 07-18-2006, 01:47 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain

Well everyone i modified my air intake on my truck yesterday i took the little hose that turns off to the size and put a different one on it and ran it up through the front next to the radiator to make it kinda like RAM air so my truck should breathe a lot better now i'm not sure if its done anything to my fuel mileage yet it seems to be burning the gas more completly because my exhaust doesnt smell like gas it actually smells normal like it did before i modded my exhaust system. i think sence my exhaust let more out than the factory exhaust my intake wasnt letting enough air in to compensate so i'm going to fill my tank today and i should know in the next few days after i burn it out and fill up again it seems to have more throttle response and it doesnt seem you have to push as hard on the gas to hold ur speed when running down the high way so *crosses fingers* we'll see what it does....OH and i finally got a cable for my digital camera so i'll be posting some pics of my baby here in a couple days. i'll also put some pics of how i modded the air intake if it does help fuel economy at all for anyone who is interested

Quick Reply: fuel mileage question