2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Whining from rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:20 AM
acolemn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining from rear end

For the past few months I have notices a "whining" noise coming from the rear tire areas when driving slow (less than 5mph) and usually turning. Can anybody tell me what the problem may be? The tighter the turn the more the "whine"

Old 10-14-2006, 09:21 AM
TopBanana
Default RE: Whining from rear end

Do you have a 'Trac-Loc' (sure grip, posi) rear axle? Have you recently changed the rear diff fluid? If so, did you put the Hypoid friction modifier in the oil? If you don't, a Trac-Loc rear will make that exact noise on turns. I just bought my 01 Dakota and someone apparently changed the diff fluid and didn't add the Hypoid because it's doing the same thing. This stuff is only available @ your local dealer btw.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:53 PM
acolemn

I don't think so. Acccording to the information I have, its a 3.92 rear end with Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle. No, I have not touched the fluid in the rear end.
Is it possible that the bearing on the rear end have gone bad? Are those sealed bearings?

Old 10-14-2006, 10:24 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: TopBanana

Do you have a 'Trac-Loc' (sure grip, posi) rear axle? Have you recently changed the rear diff fluid? If so, did you put the Hypoid friction modifier in the oil? If you don't, a Trac-Loc rear will make that exact noise on turns. I just bought my 01 Dakota and someone apparently changed the diff fluid and didn't add the Hypoid because it's doing the same thing. This stuff is only available @ your local dealer btw.

Trac Loc (Ford), Posi-Trac (GM), Sure Grip (Chrysler) are all basically limited slip (aka Anti-Spin) diffs.

Best thing is to change the fluid with correct type as TB recommended. If that doesnt quiet it, then there might be a bearing issue.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:01 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Acoleman, when I first bought my truck, I think I had the same problem.
I changed the rear axle fluid, added the friction modifier (as TopBanana said; its like $8 for a small bottle from the dealer, one bottle will do, and its a MUST for LSDs, failure to add can/will destroy the clutches). The noise went away (well, I think I just came to ignore the noise after a few days, but the noise was definitly not there after the fluid change ). Also, after you change the axle fluid, do about 10-12 figure-eights slowly. This pumps the lubricant and additive through the clutches.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:03 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I also had the whine... turned out the bearings were bad... 3 of them.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Chief Joseph

I had a lot of whining coming from the rear too, so I moved my wife to the front passenger seat. Now the whinings to the right of me. (Sorry couldn't resist)

Old 10-15-2006, 07:24 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chief Joseph

I had a lot of whining coming from the rear too, so I moved my wife to the front passenger seat. Now the whinings to the right of me. (Sorry couldn't resist)
Lol. (And welcome to the site!)

Old 10-29-2006, 01:16 AM
skeeter0288
Professional

i had whining too-now the whining is gone,and so is the wife.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:58 PM
parallax

My 2001 Dakota had a spider (side) gear thrust bearing (washer) come apart sending bearing material to the front pinion shaft bearing chewing it up. I replaced the bad bearing and washers and am good as new now. total cost was $100 for a bearing kit although I only replaced the bad bearing.

Quick Reply: Whining from rear end