2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006 | 03:33 PM
Rakaric
|
Record Breaker
Default repair

hey, i have a used 2000 dakota, and I think I've done a pretty good job on it, but there's one prob that the previous owner left me...

So I'm curious to where I can take that in to get repaired for the cheapest. Does Maaco do body repairs as well? Are they any good? How much would it cost?

Old 10-15-2006 | 07:42 PM
horatio102
Champion
Default RE: repair

Those aren't going to be cheap.

Maaco - depends on how much you're willing to spend. You can get a show-car paint job there, but you'll spend a show-car paint job budget to get it. Yes, they do body work, and yes, you could probably just get it filled with bondo and painted.

Call your local paintless dent wizard guy and see if he thinks he can get those out at all. It would help if you removed the headliner, 3rd brake light, or whatever else there is that might be removed for access to the underside of those dents.

Old 10-15-2006 | 08:21 PM
Rakaric
|
Record Breaker

well this dent has a crease in the middle of it so I don't think it can be popped out. It's going to need a paint job no matter what, becuase apparently the original paint fell off, and the owner had to get some paint to cover it up.

Old 10-15-2006 | 08:30 PM
98Dodger4x4
Veteran

To fix it right the windsheild may need to be removed. I worked in a auto body shop for 13 years and stopped to do to a heath reason and to sit behind a desk all day. I would check a couple area auto body shops and get prices ask if anyone there does auuto body work on the side also. If you was from Maryland I have a close friend who owns there own shop and I could hook you up

Old 10-15-2006 | 09:01 PM
Rakaric
|
Record Breaker

how much do you think that will cost?

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:11 AM
horatio102
Champion

If you're repainting, I'm going to say you're looking at $1500+, but that's just my WAG.

The reason being is that it's going to be several hundred for paint alone to get a quality blend with decent paint, and you're looking at quite a few hours to remove trim, pull the dents and make it all look good. I'd still call the paintless dent guy though, they can work wonders with their little spoons and it might save you versus traditional body work. You'd still be able to get the roof repainted as you like.

Old 10-16-2006 | 12:56 AM
Rakaric
|
Record Breaker

1500 for just the roof? All i was talking about was repainting the roof. I've had the entire right side of teh cab dented in an accident and the repair cost was 2500 and the whole side was repainted.

Old 10-16-2006 | 05:02 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

how long has the dent been there? see if anyone in your area works with liquid nitrogen dent removal. it is cheap and effective. also, worst case scenario, you can simply drill a small hole in the center and work the dent out gradually using anything metal, with a curve. when you have gotten it in better shape, simply weld the hole shut, grind it down, bondo, sand, paint, sand, clear coat, sand.

Old 10-16-2006 | 05:26 PM
Rakaric
|
Record Breaker

I don't know, becuase the previous owner made the dent. I've had the truck for about a year now.

Old 10-16-2006 | 05:38 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

I'd be surprised if it was more than grand. Should take more than a pint (quart at max) to paint the affected area. But the glass would need to be yanked to do it right (and not to break it by accident).

Quick Reply: repair