2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2.5l performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:59 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5l performance

No, the subject is not an oxymoron
I'm just looking for mods that will up the power of my little engine
I'm hoping to add 50Hp over the summer without getting a loan
and I want the most bang for my buck
any ideas?

Old 03-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Mike954
Rookie
Default RE: 2.5l performance

You are looking to get close to a 50% increase in hp without spending a lot of money?

No offense but good luck!

The only way I know how do get that much hp increase is through displacement replacement (turbo or supercharger).

Old 03-14-2007, 04:53 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

more like 33%
If I put in a procharger what else would i need to do to the engine itself? (low boost)
And what is involved in putting one in? Computer, ecm upgrade?

Old 03-14-2007, 06:15 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get a small turbo with about 7-8 pounds of boost. but I thought you were goin for the V8 swap?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 PM
BeachCruiser
Rookie

Dude, thats just not gonna happen out of the 2.5. Also, just to be honest about the procharger, they don't do much if anything. If you think about it realisticly, its trying to be an all electric supercharger, that just doens't happen. If you went with a turbo you'd spend more than you would if you just swapped a V8 in there, and still have less power than the V8.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Mike954
Rookie

I say 50% because you would be close to 100hp at the wheels, and most hp is measured at the wheels.
Turbocharching the truck would be the best way to stick with the same engine. You could probably get stock 5.9L horsepower out of the 2.5L if turbocharged. Plus you save on weight!
Without doing anything internally you could get away with maybe 12psi. I imagine the 2.5 isn't running over 9:1 compression.
I don't know anyone making a supercharger set-up for it so if you go to the time to customize on you might as well customize a turbo set up b/c you have more options with a turbo. Plus 4cyl's are a lot easier that V6's and V8's to turbo.
I don't know how good the Dodge 4cly's are about reliablitity, and I know nothing about the engine, if they are the same as the Jeep 4 then I would go for the swap, but if the intake and exhaust are on separate sides of the head try the turbo, you would be pretty unique runnig a turbocharged Dakota!!

Beachcruiser, I don't understand what you are talking about the Procharger being electric? I run a Procharger and it definately isn't garbage, it runs 10psi at 6000rpm.

Also if you swap in a V8 you are not going to be happy with the performance out of a stock one, you will notice it riding different and handling different. Almost immediately you will start thinking about all the money you will have to spend to make it suped up and it will just make you depressed.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:11 PM
BeachCruiser
Rookie

I might be thinking of something else, but the procharger I'm thinking about is basicly a fan you put inside your air intake that runs of of electricity and aparently speeds up the airflow, like a supercharger would. We talking about two different things?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:14 PM
BeachCruiser
Rookie

Oh, haha. I was thinking about the eRam. Yea, my bad.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:14 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BeachCruiser

I might be thinking of something else, but the procharger I'm thinking about is basicly a fan you put inside your air intake that runs of of electricity and aparently speeds up the airflow, like a supercharger would. We talking about two different things?
you talking about the electric supercharger off ebay, those things are worthless. just like TB spacers and tornados.

there talking about the REAL sperchargers and turbos

Old 03-15-2007, 01:18 AM
batman13
Grand Champion

ok guys heres the idea,
I am planning a TT V8 swap someday, but I was thinking something to tide me over 'till I get the resources ($) to do it.
I just need more than I have, I hope to have big heavy wheels (22") and I will need the ***** to get them going.
I don't need to spin them, just get me down the street with some gusto until the V8

just thought I'd clear up WHY i need the horsies

Quick Reply: 2.5l performance