2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

TPS symptons - feels like transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:03 AM
tractorboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS symptons - feels like transmission slipping

2004 dokota quad cab 4.3 v8 2wd/ auto

I have no codes and just had a selnoid replaced so trans has been opened up somewhat.

But Ive read the other threads and have not heard of this symptom mentioned.

Not only do RPM's go up and down and all over and sometimes stalling but...sometimes while driving (45-55mph) and the RPM's jump....the truck "FEELS' like the transmission is slipping as when the RPM's go up the truck does not try to speed up dramatically like it would if you "HIT THE GAS" and raised the RPMS. I would think that if RPMs jump..the truck would try to go faster?

To verify I will try the voltage test but Im wondering if something is wrong with my transmission. On days when she is behaving I have NO problems with the trans so.........Im thinking related to the potentially bad TPS???

I need to do voltage test or I will try the drill a hole and clean trick too...but just worried as others have not mentioned the way the LARGE 1000 rpm increase affects or feels like it affects the trans.

again NO CODEs at all or CEL.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you having any of the symptoms of

This
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post2374869

or This

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ous-sound.html

I'm used to working with carbs and vacum systems,.. kinda green horn when it comes to all this electronic crap but from what I have read what your describing could be a faulting TPS

Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 PM
tractorboy

Its definately not the engine missing.

some of the second link. When they had it they did change out all fluids but doubt bands were tightened. I am at 123k miles so should do that I guess.

But all other symptoms are def the TPS but its just the added Tranny symptons that make me wonder as no one else said they had it kick hard into gear at times or clunk. I see in the second thread like you posted someone talking to a mech talk of incorrect voltage sending to trans so....again...I guess I just need to clear up the TPS and go from there.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I get a hard powerful shift from 1st to second.. under light or normal driving.. if i put my foot off into its not as hard..

Then since the High Flow Air filter change it seems the shifts act a little different.. seem to shift quicker when normal driving (not getting on it) but again.. kinda feels like it floating from 2-3 or 3-4 i forget which one exactly.. but just a feeling.. does not feel as 'powerful'

His thoughts was could be the bands.. but also could be what ever is causing the 'lope/shutter'

I'm in the same boat more or less just trying to figure out what the hell is going on.. TPS, Bands, w/e

I will tell you though i also here a clunk.. and if its when your shifting gears that is the sound typically of the U joints needing to be replaced.. you can try and greece them but at least on Ford, its better to replace than to try and just greece.. make sure you get replacements with greece nipples so you can greece them with a greece gun while you do your service.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:34 PM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 1000rpm is alot for a bad tps. 200-400 is norm, depending on your speed. my truck since day one allways down shifted very hard from 2nd to 1st as i slowed down. occationally it will shift really hard 1 to 2, and reverse to drive like a bad u joint but its not that. dont know what it is. i learned to live with it. i cant adjust my bands so i know thats not my problem with it. drill a hole trick? a tps is only around $20. replace and see if it fixes it.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 PM
tractorboy

Really! Mine at times if really bad can jack up 1000 - 2000 RPMS! Other days she purrs or just drops about 500 here and there.

I got prices of a new TPS for mine of like 80 bucks at napa. I will have to look around. Maybe it was the "other" board but yeah....drill small hole and clean out with Eletro Cleaner and seal back up and reinstall.......

Then again..for 50-80 bucks just get it replaced trued.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

43.00 for a new tps for my truck at autozone

Old 02-15-2011, 04:42 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I'm sorry exactly what are they drilling in?

On the other hand I do not have a problem with the RPM.. running at 70-75 Im between 2K and 2.1K ish..

60-65 Im running around 1.8~1.9 K in O.D.

I only had RPM problem one time.. I started and it wanted to idle at like 1500-1800 for no reason.. reb it like you would do for a stuck throttle and it suddenly puttered.. then rpm increased.. then puttered.. doing that cycle for a min or 2 untill it finally died at one point..

Fired back up and ran fine.. That only happened 1 time.. and I have no clue why..

Occ. when backing out shifting from R to D it will stall out.. but if i give it gas it will not stall and squak tires.. not sure what it is.. but IDK...

Im going to service my tranny while im at it the front end and rear.. maybee replace my U joints just because i want too and do not want one breaking in the mud..

Then I will replace the TPS for the hell of it just say i did.. then go from there..

Old 02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

And wait to see if the guy on the other thread that claims "Goodyear?" said his Cat was the problem?

Will see..

Old 02-17-2011, 01:38 PM
tractorboy

per another member I check autozone....bingo....31.99 for my truck.... less that half of what napa wanted......man....prices fluctuate on some things SO MUCH. weird. But thanks...just gonna replace with new this weekend and go from there.

See my newest post for my next delema....steering!

Quick Reply: TPS symptons - feels like transmission slipping