2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota Sport 4L air conditioning quit

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 10:58 AM
rickself
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 Dakota Sport 4L air conditioning quit

Of course, it had to wait for the hottest week of the year! Friday my AC was working, Saturday it was blowing hot air. I checked the fuse inside the Cab and it was good. Is there a relay I need to look for under the hood or is there a clutch to replace on the compressor or do I need to replace the entire compressor? I know nothing about air conditioning except that it was working fine on Friday. I have had a bearing type of chatter coming from the engine right after I start it up but goes away in five or 10 minutes. Hoping there is some sort of repair I can do but maybe not. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-12-2015, 11:24 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Check the pressures in the system with a REAL gauge set. You need both high and low. If you are low on r-134a the compressor won't run.

You may have to jump the low pressure switch to test.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:33 AM
rickself
Veteran

I will try to locate a pressure gauge to test both high and low pressures. I have a bottle of that do it your self refrigerant. Would it help for me to attempt to pump some in?
Also, the pulley does not engage when I turn the AC on from inside. Would that be normal with low pressure? Thank you for your help!

Old 07-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably low or out of gas. Like suggested, gauges first before you fill. Mine developed a leak several years ago on a low pressure fabric reinforced line leaning against the air box where the filter is housed. I'm not sure if yours is arranged this way, mine is a six 3.9L. however, check these fabric lines for oil as this is a sign. Again after being in the business of refrigeration for my life time please use gauges as to not put any of this refrigerant into the atmosphere. Please get help from a qualified person as this system can be compromised and ruined very easily. The system is an open system cause the seals on the compressor sometimes are a problem as they get old and dry out, gas then escapes. Leak checking should be the very first thing to look at. If there is any pressure in the system a good electronic or ultrasonic testor will find it. The centrifugal clutch will not engage if the pressure isn't high enough on the low side.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:44 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The clutch will not engage if the pressure is too low. It protects the compressor from damage.

Before you do anything, check the pressures.

Be VERY careful with those DIY cans. Many of them contain a leak sealer. Once you put that in, it becomes VERY expensive to repair the system as most shops won't touch it.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:18 PM
rickself
Veteran

I will, in my small town, try to find somebody with proper gauges. Thanks for the good info.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:20 PM
rickself
Veteran

Thanks 00DakDan. Your advise is always appreciated!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:13 PM
04DakAz
Amateur

Originally Posted by rickself
I will, in my small town, try to find somebody with proper gauges. Thanks for the good info.
Amazon has a nice set for around $63 after tax, probably gonna order those myself soon

Originally Posted by 00DakDan

Be VERY careful with those DIY cans. Many of them contain a leak sealer. Once you put that in, it becomes VERY expensive to repair the system as most shops won't touch it.
Its hard to find Regular 134A, that ultra cold and freeze your nipples off in under 3 seconds products are not only massively over priced they all have the magically solve your leak snake oil that clogs up not only holes but your system, Its a band aid at best. Aside from my fairytale rant, cheapest places that sell just regular 134a without all the sanke oil, Home Depot actually has the best price that i can find IDQ Brand @ $6.97 12oz, WalFart Speedsteed brand is $6.88 12oz according to their site but last i was there it was $9.99

Old 07-12-2015, 11:22 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If your going to buy a gauge set I recommend this set around $120 to $160
http://www.autotoolworld.com/product...FRNrfgodqkYJhQ

Very nice set and quality also I use them they are part of my tool set now for AZ heat.

I say start with just one of those cheap one can filler kits just to see if it will start up then use the gauge set as the rest said.

I forgot check your local auto parts store some rent the gauge set out.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 07-13-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:18 PM
04DakAz
Amateur

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ

If your going to buy a gauge set I recommend this set around $120 to $160
http://www.autotoolworld.com/product...FRNrfgodqkYJhQ

Very nice set and quality also I use them they are part of my tool set now for AZ heat.

I say start with just one of those cheap one can filler kits just to see if it will start up then use the gauge set as the rest said.

I forgot check your local auto parts store some rent the gauge set out.

Those are some sexy gauges! I like that its black and has rubber around the gauges.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota Sport 4L air conditioning quit