2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission interchange

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans trade out

I am wanting to switch out my trans I have a 1997 Dakota SLT 4X4 behind a 3.9 and I am trying to see what will fit. I have had it with trying to get this one to shift correctly..

Old 12-05-2017, 11:06 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by David Wyman
Will a nv3500 from a 01 Dodge ram fit a 98 Dodge ram..both 1500 pickups with 4x4

One word of caution on this, and I am not sure what year this happened, but the newer NV3500 with the electric shifted transfer case does not have the bosses on the side of the transmission to mount the transfer case shifter. I have a 87 dakota, that I put a 2003 NV3500 in, and found this out the hard way.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:09 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Preacher Rob
I am wanting to switch out my trans I have a 1997 Dakota SLT 4X4 behind a 3.9 and I am trying to see what will fit. I have had it with trying to get this one to shift correctly..

What transmission do you have now? FWIW its my understanding that the dakota and ram use 2 different 5 speeds, (NV3500) I have been told that the shifter location is different. The dakota version is located more towards the tail section.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

I currently have the one that came with it. I believe it is a 42 re I am thinking this is supposed to be a 4 speed???? and I have been trying to get it to shift right and am about to give in so I thought I would start looking.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Yep, four speed auto. What is it doing to you?

Old 12-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Ok well it is fine in the upper gears.... However when I start off it wants to just sorta kick out but when I go real easy it shifts but it does the shifts to quick. I replaced the gov solenoid and sensor. Also did the speed output sensor. I have adjusted the TV cable to where it should take awhile to change ( most all the way out- to the rear ) Of course I have brought it to stock setting by removing the clip and flooring the accelerator and replacing the clip. I adjusted the bands according to the specs I got from on here. I was hoping you would see this because of the knowledge I saw you have. Any help would be appreciated..

Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Verify the TV cable moves freely, and isn't binding anywhere. Also check and make sure the return spring down at the trans is still there......

If that looks good, testing the TPS wouldn't hurt.... but, if the engine does what it is supposed to, I don't hold out a lot of hope for that.

Could try disconnecting the 8 pin connector at the trans, (disables electronic control) and go for a ride. Bear in mind, that trans will have zero automatic function. So, start out in first, and up/downshift as appropriate. You won't have O/D, or TCC either. (and it will set a bunch of codes.....) If the trans shifts into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, you still have an electronic problem somewhere. if it doesn't, it's a mechanical problem, and a rebuild is in your future......

Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 AM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Ok I did replace the TV cable spring and we checked the TPS. I only have a problem when I let it shift it's self, if I shift it it goes ok. Oh where is the 8 pin connector is it just in the wiring harness or is it directly into the trans? I love this truck so if I have to rebuild I will but I am hoping I can make it last for awhile. This is my replacement for the van that got T-boned in June and it has taken since then to put it on the road. I redone the whole underside and most everything is new so I keep praying it will last till I recover a bit. Thanks so much for your advise I always like learning new things. If I have to can you tell me what all trans will work for me Please?

Old 12-08-2017, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

8 pin connector is on drivers side of the trans, about halfway back. It plugs straight down into the valve body there. It can be a real pain to get to...... especially if you have four wheel drive.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Preacher Rob
Amateur

Ok I will check that out. What I am wondering is if it shifts ok when I do it now is it still electrical? I don't have overdrive so that shouldn't be an issue. I do have four wheel drive so I have been just taking it easy with it. I am retired so I am in no hurry when I get out there. I guess with it doing ok without unplugging that 8 pin doesn't mean anything? I know some about Auto trans enough to get me into trouble so that is why I am asking so many questions.

Quick Reply: Transmission interchange