2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Radio trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Russell A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio trouble

Truck info, 01 Dakota SLT, 4.6 V8 , 2WD, 4door. This is the wife's truck we purchased new for her, she loves her truck. A few years ago we upgraded the radio t an aftermarket unit, following instructions, made up all connections to/for wiring harness and everything work just like it was suppose to. After several years started have problems loosening the sound, like hitting the mute button. Well it finally lost sound and never came back. The unit was still on, but no sound from radio or any other input. After a year or so t purchased a new aftermarket unit and as before following installation instructions, I made up all connections, powered it up, did the little programming steps, tuned to a radio station and had no sound.
I have spent hours checking and rechecking different trouble shooting steps I have found in this and different forums, but I am at my wits end.
I have used an ohm meter and according it it there are no speakers connected to the harness. Have not pull the doors apart yet to check the speaker connection yet.
My question is there other connections in the wiring harness, if show where? I don't want to take apart anymore than I have to .
I forgot to add that this is a basic system, no amp and no blue wire in the factory wire harness.
So what do you guys think, where do I go from here?

Old 12-31-2017, 07:35 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Did the truck originally have the Infinity sound? If so, there is an amplifier on the passenger side under the dash. If that isn't powered you won't have any sound.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:14 PM
Russell A
Default No, it's a basic system

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Welcome to the forum.

Did the truck originally have the Infinity sound? If so, there is an amplifier on the passenger side under the dash. If that isn't powered you won't have any sound.
No, it's a basic system, no amp, there in not even a blue wire in the factory harness

Old 12-31-2017, 09:18 PM
Russell A

Oh and thanks for the welcome.
I even double checked behind the side kick plate on the passenger side just to make sure there was no amp there

Old 12-31-2017, 10:20 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Pull the radio out and check with a known good speaker. Hook it up to each output. If it plays, the problems are either your speakers or wiring. If it doesn't, the problem is with your radio.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:48 PM
Russell A

Ok I'll
Ok I'll give that a try tomorrow, but like stated before, sound was on and off with the second unit like useing the mute button, then it lost sound completely, this is now a new unit I am installing and not getting sound from it. I check using an ohm meter and it's like there are no speakers connected , could all 4 speakers work intermittently together and then stop working completely at the same time? Is there another connection in the harness? I hope I'm explaining this understandably. Don't give up on me,

Old 01-01-2018, 03:43 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Dan covered it pretty good, that's a symptom more typical of a factory infinity amp going south (I have the one from my truck laying around somewhere). With there not being an amp present, it's hard to explain all 4 speakers losing audio all at once.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:19 PM
Russell A

I guess next will be pull the doors open and check the speakers. With no contanuity at the radio plug then all 4 went bad together or there is another connection in the wiring harness that I'll have to find, electrical problems are always a pita.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:44 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

There's no other harness connection. The dash harness for the radio goes directly to doors and back wall.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:49 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Again...At the back of the radio, disconnect a speaker wire and hook up any speaker...even one from a clock radio. You just need to know that the radio itself actually works.

I don't have the Infinity system, but I'm still not sure that the OEM wiring is a straight run to spkrs. When I first got the Dak, I pulled out the interior and ran all new speaker wires to the doors and installed an under seat amp.

Quick Reply: Radio trouble