2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

06 Durango..fuel overspill

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:37 PM
logansam54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Durango..fuel overspill

So I just bought theis certified Pre-owned 2006 Durango yesterday and I filled it up with gas today and it didn't stop when the tank was full and splashed out all over me, the car and the ground. What is THAT about? Also, the a/c doesn't seem to be blowing cold and there is a wierd
mildew-y smell in the car. As far as I can tell it doesn't seem to be coming from the carpets. I got down nose-to-carpet in various areas and took a big whiff and it just smells like car. But in the cabin in smells. No what's wierd is the manual seems to be stinky too and I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the a/c as I think i remember reading the cabin air filter is below the glove box? I called the guy who sold me the car and he said the a/c is definitely part of the certification process. I am concerned about the gas issue too. Any suggestions? I have an appt for them to check the a/c. and when I get there I will tell them about the gas spillage.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:37 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. THe blend door may be malfunctioning or have the A/C recharged. Here is a thread about the gas overflow:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...6-durango.html

FF

Old 04-22-2010, 06:37 PM
logansam54

Thanks. Upon further investigation, cold is blowing out the rear vents but not the front. Annoying to have to brin git back after it was supposedly "certified" This is my 3rd pre-owned car and never had any trouble before.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 PM
08aspen

It sounds like mold/mildew has gotten into your condenser. This causes a nice musty "gym locker" smell whenever the a/c is running. This is an extremely common issue with almost all vehicle makes, and most dealers keep a fungicide or similar product that is sprayed into the vents, etc. If you want a short-term solution, spray lysol into vents and run the thing on recirc for awhile.

If the manual is stinky and is kept in your glove compartment, then you might want to look for water stains in that general area to make sure you don't have water leaking into the cabin during rain. Take a close look at the passenger side carpeting.

I'm not sure about the a/c - might need recharging. The fuel spillage problem is common and one I've dealt with as well, and there is a fix (new fuel filler neck and tank assembly. There's a "defective flap" in there that's causing your problems.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:08 AM
logansam54

Spray Lysol into the vents from the inside of the car or the outside? As for the carpet, I did get down & look at/smell the carpet on that side. It is dry and when smelled directly-nose to casrpet-it just smells like carpet. It rained heavy yesterday and everything remained dry. I Febrezed the crap out of it and bought a charcoal thing that you'd put in closets and my daughter said it didn't smell last night when she got in it with her Dad. The a/c seems to blow cold in the middle but not the front. Argh...I'm so aggravated!

Old 12-23-2010, 05:43 PM
badmuda31

I have a 2006 durango with the hemi engine, every time i fill up iget the gas bath??

Old 12-24-2010, 01:05 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I just noticed this as well on my "new to us" 2006 Durango as well, although the wife claims to not have the problem when she fills it up.

However, I am not going to spend the money for a new tank and filler neck. I'll deal with a little bit of overflow (mine just spits a little out that runs down the side panel, it doesn't "puke" it out or give me a bath).

Old 12-24-2010, 12:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Jeez, you kids!!! I am old enough to remember when you had to listen for the gas to come up the tube and stop it yourself. It wasn't THAT long ago, I'm only in my early 40s.
Another trick you can try is to put the spout in upside down, they seem to be a little more sensitive when inverted and shut off easier. I know this was a common on the earlier type auto shutoff handles, may still work...

Old 12-25-2010, 09:46 AM
logansam54

Just an update, the dealer fixed it for me, no charge and it had been fine since.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:37 PM
PokerMunkee
Professional

My gas tank does the same thing. There was a recall for 2005 models, but no others. I'm hoping Dodge will step up to the plate and fix this for everyone.

I already filled a complaint on the NHTSA website, I recommend everyone do the same!!

Quick Reply: 06 Durango..fuel overspill