2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
adkg12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

Hello everyone. I searched the site and found information about these cold air intakes but no one really pinned it down. Do they really work!? Is there really an increase of power at the low to mid range? Do they really get better MPG? I also did some research on Acetone. Anyone here actually using this? How is it working?
Thanks ahead of time!
Glen

2004 Durango *****ed 4X4 4.7L V8 Stock.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A cold air intake (CAI) will increase your horsepower and torque responsiveness, but maginally improve gas mileage. The more air flowing into and out of your engine will make it more efficient. Alone, it will not make much of a difference, but couple it with exhaust headers and an exhaust cat-back system to maximize its effectiveness,
FF

Old 08-13-2009, 07:18 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to acetone my fuel all the time. Gained about 10% on the average, but you can go the other way with to much or not enough and loose mileage. Problem is... the fuel you get is never the same so you will have trouble changing the levels on your end, in the blind, each time.

IndyD

Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 PM
adkg12

Thanks for the responses..

I purchased a Cold Air Intake.. I figured it couldnt hurt to give it a shot..
I figured if it isnt going to make the mpg better then I was at least going to enjoy it more!

On a whim I decided to check the plugs today, and found they were WAY BAD! Most of them had the core electrode darn near gone. The gap was near 70! There was one that was fuel fouling some...not bad..but some..and one looked like it was high speed glazed..Either way.. I know changing those should help the MPG. Not sure really how much..but it should some even if only from getting the gap back where it belongs..

I used the OEM Champion-Copper plug. Turned out to be what was in it after all. I am guessing they are probably the stock plugs..
I am looking into an exaust, but I will wait to see what happens with the cold air intake. It should be here next week..

Did you notice any damage from he Acetone?

I think I will drain the oil and put in some good castrol sythetic..and a new filter..maybe some slick 50! HA!

What do you all think..?
Glen

Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't muck up your synthetic new oil by adding in Slick 50.

Acetone was fine for me. YMMV!

IndyD

Old 08-14-2009, 01:39 AM
cdndodgeboy

which cai did you get ???

Old 08-14-2009, 05:31 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator

I agree with Indy with the Slick 50, but to each his own,
FF

Old 08-15-2009, 05:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The owners manual strictly tells you NOT TO ADD ADDITIVES so DON'T DO IT!

Champion plugs are OEM and they should be changed every 15K or yearly.

Use Fully Synthetic oils. I like Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic because they are the only brand that I know of that breaks the molecules down to a consistent 2 molecules. According to the Regulations, oil companies can break the lubricants down by shear time and call it a Fully Synthetic but really it isn't. Each to their own when it comes to oil, but my recommendation is to use a good name brand like Mobil 1.

Check this thread I did: Oil Questions?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:38 PM
adkg12

UPDATE:
I received the CAI and man what a difference in SOUND if nothing else. Too soon to know about fuel eco, but between 2k and 3k Rpm this truck has a new life. It roars to life like it never has since I got it. And man does it sound good getting there! I also removed the TB and cleaned it **** and span with MAF sensor cleaner and cotton swaps..it looked new when I was finished. I cleaned the plunger thing as well. Replaced the PCV and cleaned out the tubing and what-not connected to it. When I was done and just for good measure, I washed and waxed and did the wheels!! Wife and I are going out to our local "club" here in town and cant wait to get it on the highway!!
Thanks for listening!
Next project.. exhaust!
Glen

Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator

You want most of you power in the 2,000 rpm range (for a truck) and roots style superchargers obtain most of their power in that range. An underdrive pulley MIGHT save some gas as it slows down accessories. Exhaust headers also make a great sound and again MIGHT save some gas. JBA makes and excellent product for the 5.7L if that is what you have,
FF

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake