2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

05 Durango just quits??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 04:39 PM
worldnet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 05 Durango just quits??

I would report it at the below site. The standard dodge dealer reply that chrysler is working on it is very old. They deny everything to NHSTA. The more of us report it, thew more pressure they will put on chrysler.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm

Old 12-05-2005, 04:12 PM
MoparMax
Rookie

Good report Worldnet...Since the dealer found the TSB on my Durango and completed whatever repairs it has fixed the problem.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:26 PM
2ndwindranch

Darn I wish I had seen this post sooner! I have had this happen at least 3 times. Even when it was brand spaking new. For me always seems to happen when I pull up to a stop sign of stop. I am so glad it hasn't stalled while going down the road! It's currently in the shop for warranty work. For the 3rd time! I came here to post the problem to see if others are having. I will open a new post for it shortly.[:@]

Old 01-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Junior5290
Rookie

Ive seen that sometimes how the trans filter is installed will cause this, basicly the trans will hicup, suck a lil air in, causeing the idle to go up then the PCM would try to correct this and at the same time the trans catches again causing the motor to stall.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Lnewman2004

Hello and thanks for having this page!
I have seen many useful tips and posts since finding this forum on Monday (or thanks to my supervisor)
Last year I purchased a brand new big yellow dodge 1500 4x4 345hsp RumbleBee from Beaverton Oregon.
What a beauty and novelty! Reminds you of the old time type car with a kinda fun body kit.

It would be great with the exception of the intermittent stalling that started probably after about the first month or so of ownership.
My husband and I called the dealership and were told unless they could duplicate this problem, it would be difficult to pinpoint.
It became more frequent.... then this Dec of 2005, the alarm started going off (could not shut off at work) in addition to all the stalling throughout the year....

OH, they did recommend "while this is occuring, try using regular unleaded..." it didn't help.
Your posts indicating "near wrecks" due to stalling, both my husband and I experienced all through ownership of this -
December 12, we finally took it into the dealership when the alarm wouldn't shut off, at this time, the suposedly upgraded the powertrain control module software and closed the ticket on Dec 15.

I stalled less frequently (2 times) which I was just thinking this Saturday, Jan 21st, I would call Dodge on Monday and let them know, although the problem is "less frequent" "where engine just shuts down" I was taking an exit heading home, the engine shut down... well, me and all of 102lbs of me tried braking with all my might - thank goodness I slowed down like a normal person when taking a freeway exit... but this caused an accident.

The motor stalled and as a result of the stall, ended up rear-ending a 99 ford ranger. Luckily the damages were under 1,500.00 per vehicle but that's not the point.

This stalling and the stalling all year since owning this vehicle could have caused more damages! Not to mention injury, etc.

I have been able to now take your posts along with my statement to my insurance and will also go back to Dodge once my truck is fixed and hopefully get them to fix this right and under my warranty! This should NEVER happen with a new vehicle and I have never been so frustrated!

I'm disappointed because I realize burden of proof is with me, but I have plenty of people throughout the year who have heard me complain about the the stalling, some even have been with me to witness it happening (before the upgrade)

I thought the "upgrade" would have resovled but it didn't (must say, it was less frequent but that doesn't count!) and this time I was the unlucky party who now has to fix it before it gets better! Just wanted to add my two cents and hope those of you who are experiencing this take your vehichle back to Dodge, make them fix it before this happens to you - drive safely!

Are there any petitions or does anyone know of this being looked into? this is truly a dangerous thing. Thanks to all for listening to my banter! Lillian.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:39 PM
mccoynuts

I have an 2004 Durango with the 5.7 Liter Hemi engine. I have had this vehicle, which I purchased brand new, since May 2004. It has run really well (no stalls) until yesterday (2/9/06), in which I experienced my first stall (engine quit with no power steering and no power brakes). I was going up a slight incline of a parking garage ramp at about 15 MPH, when all of a sudden the engine just quit/stalled. I had to come to a complete stop to put in park and then the engine restarted immediately without any problems. I also noted that there was not any fault indicators lit (Service Engine Light), so obviously there would be no saved error codes for service dealer to read with their computer. Since I see from the forum that I am not the only one that has experienced this problem and it could be a real "Safety Issue", I have opened a complaint with the "NHTSA". My registered ODI # is 10149933. Here is the link to the NHTSA if you would like to file a complaint.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm

Old 03-03-2006, 05:40 AM
hemeeee

We have an '04 Durango w/the Hemi. Absolutely love it but....it's stalled twice and has been in the shop a few times. The check engine light comes on along w/all the other warning lights. It does it intermittently which is frustrating because it doesn't do it when it's at the dealership!!! First they said it was the ignition switch, then it was the key switch, then they flashed the computer and cleaned the injectors. Nothing! This seems to happen every few thousand miles. I've contacted Dodge directly and we now have a "record". What doesn't help either is that the service writer at this dealership is a jerk and doesn't want to deal w/it. We're going to another dealership for a "2nd opinion". Just today as we were passing the dealership, all lights went on so we pulled in. He literally put his hand in the air and said " I don't have time right now you need to make an appointment". But it was doing it right then!!! I would think that with as many times it has been in, they'd want to find out exactly what the problem is. Pffff, not! Dodge knows about the stalling and losing power, etc. I commented to the nice customer service lady at Dodge "So when I get into an accident because of this problem, you'll be hearing from me again...in a not so nice way". NHTSA here we come!

Old 03-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Dr.Dodge
Professional

My 2005 HEMI Durango had the stalling issue as well. I printed out the TSB and took it to my dealer. He said this was the first one he had ever heard of. They actually didn't have the necessary software to do the update, so I had to reschedule. After the flashing of the PCM it hasn't stalled once.

Jeff

Old 03-04-2006, 03:23 AM
hemeeee

Wow...lucky! Matter of fact, it stalled today after the warning lights coming on yesterday. Not only does it stall, but the rear a/c heat control won't work when the warning lights come on. Lost ABS, airbags...etc. Scary too because we were in heavy rain today. We've had the computer flashed, etc. Brings up a bunch of codes but nothing seems to get fixed. So as I said before, we're going to another dealership for a 2nd opinion. Frustrating though! [:@]

Old 03-09-2006, 03:29 PM
hemeeee

[:@] Just got off the phone with Daimler Chrysler, 45 minutes, and they said there is nothing they can do about it. No technical department, no engineering department only customer service. Each dealership is trained to handle all engineering problems. Unfortunately, if the dealership cannot duplicate the problem there is nothing they can do. "Just keep your documentation" is what I'm told. Which I have documentation since October of 2005 of this problem occuring. Sooooo frustrating. I have a lawyer waiting in the wings who'd be more than happy to take on this issue! I'm losing faith quickly.

Quick Reply: 05 Durango just quits??