2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

CAI I DO NOT RECOMMEND

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:31 AM
Exubus
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAI I DO NOT RECOMMEND

He he yes I did read your earlier posts... just making a joke man, don't sweat it. On a more serious note though, I will say that maybe instead of having a certified mechanic install mods such as a CAI, you should research a bit and install it yourself... not calling this guy a bad guy or anything, but is it possible that he did a bad install? You know the old saying, "If you want something done right..." just a possibility...

As for me, I went a different direction with the CAI in my car... it's a modified K&N filter in the OEM box and mounting position, but after thatthe cold airis vented/tunneledinto the boxfrom the inner fender and front bumper, and also froma second spot underneath the radiatorup into the stock airbox, which I cut out a second 2 1/2" port for additional cold airflow into... just food for thought in the interest of avoiding vaporlock. I did it that way so I not only was sucking in cold air, but also forcing it in at higher speed, but also so if water ever went through one intake tube hopefully the density of it would let air pass through the other intake tube into the filter instead of sucking up the water... I'll post a pic one of these days.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 AM
neon03se
Record Breaker

i'm pretty sure he didn't install it incorrectly but it is a possibility. i trust him more than any mechanic i know, because i know him personally and he is not like many other mechanics, he is a perfectionist lol

Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 AM
nswap7
Captain

theres gotta be something going on though. cuz with that happening again thats just odd. Iv never even thought twice about mine. i asked my dad about the bypass valve to be safe, and he said "shut the hell up and drive the car"..lol

Old 06-12-2007, 01:08 PM
masterofdisaster127

Anyone else's thoughts on the AEM CAI that I just ordered? After some thought and looking how the stock box and snorkel is mounted my concerns have somewhat eased.[/align]As far as the comments on the bypass valve defeating power gain....I'm certainly no professional mechanic or engineer, but I'm assuming the bypass valve is a one way valve that only opens once the restriction caused by the filter being submerged forces a negative pressure condition inside the CAI plumbing. If that assumption is correct, then during normal operations it would be closed and not affecting the air intake. Is that a correct assumption or am I giving AEM too much credit in their design and engineering?[/align]

Old 06-12-2007, 02:58 PM
nswap7
Captain

smart choice on the intake. a bypass valve is something u can get from modern, and the only purpous is that if the cai does tend to receive any water, then the valve will suck up air itself to save the engine. but getting water up into the cai is a rare occasion, but can happen..i choose not to worry about it

Old 06-12-2007, 04:10 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

drove my car through the rain yesterday and it was fine (CAI still on), and still running strong! just an update in case anyone was wondering lol

Old 06-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Sawhiskey
All Star

I drive in rain quite often and never have problems. And whomever was saying they didnt put that extra pipe on their CAI to make the filter lower, that pipe just might of been there to go between your T/B and manifold. Maybee.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Exubus
Champion

Making the plumbing shorter in the CAI might not necessarily be a bad thing as long is it is still getting cold air... most people who have tried both will tell you that they got a more defined, flatter torque curve with the short ram intake, but a more peppy boost of hp (at higher rpm's) with the normal longer-tube CAI... either way it's usually only a 1-2 hp or 1-2 lbs/tq between that and a short ram, so it kinda comes down to the preference of the driver in my opinion. Oh yeah and as for bypass valves, that's more of a gimmick than anything. If you're driving through deep enough water to literally vaporlock the entire CAI, even the bypass valve probably won't save you.

Quick Reply: CAI I DO NOT RECOMMEND