2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Smoke at Startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:29 PM
jpwilly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke at Startup

The car: Neon SXT 2003 with 2L SOHC & 70K Miles. Now making smoke signals when I start it up. After a long night of sitting it's real bad for a few revs then gone. I think it's a valve seal gone bad. I've been using Mobile Extended Life Synthetic good for 15K miles between oil changes and a Fram Extended life filtersince 40K and am on my 3rd oil change and this just started happening. Maybe the Mobile one dried up the seals? Any thoughts?

Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Smoke at Startup

Mobil one sucks the biggest *** and ill never put that sh*t in my car... nor would i EVER EVER EVER leave the same oil in my car for 15,000 miles... thats just f'ing stupid.......as for why its smoking... no idea unless its cold by you then thats kinda normal...... what color is the smoke and does it only do it when the motor is cold.... i suggest chaning the oil with a synthetic 5w-30 and doing oil changes every 3000-3500(MAX) miles.... but thats just me.....

Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Pharmboy
Veteran

yeah i don't care what the oil says, never leave it in that long you screwed your warrantee if they find out

Old 11-07-2007, 06:05 PM
jpwilly

Mobil 1 is probably the one of the best motor oils made. I'm not here to get on a soapboxregarding Mobile1 OilBUTIt's reccommended in many many high end vechicles for a reason. The full synthetic extended life is tested to fully beat dinousar juice in longevity because it breaks down much more slowleyfrom heat basically the synthetic polymers are more stable and offer more lubrication and cleaning. What's funny is that you go on to suggest I used synthetic oiljust with more frequent oil changes but left out what awesome oil that should be since Mobile one sucks so bad!The oilmay or may not be the culprit but if it could have played a part invalve seal failure I'd like to find out from someone with firsthand experiance. Could be that my 2nd Gen 2L SOHC's areprone to drop a valve guide as the old 3.0's did? Maybe its just a common Neon SXT thing to have smoke at startup?? That's the reason I posted here.Your colorful responce is wholey uneducated! I didn't pick up that you have much car knolwedge whatsoever.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Rodge57
Professional

I use Castrol GTX

Old 11-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Rodge57
Professional

They say not to change oils....

Old 11-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Rodge57
Professional

My car dose not smoke.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

damn dont take so much offense.....

ANYWAYS........ pull one all of your spark plug tubes...... if their is oil you need new spark plug tube seals.... this can cause smoke if you have even a slightly loose spark plug and thier is oil in the tube. the OEM tube seals are very common to leak.
Any other issues, less power, water in oil or vis versa??

Old 11-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Pharmboy
Veteran

Wow what the hell man, he has an opinion about Mobil 1, who cares! And thanks for the commercial. No the 2.0L has no valve guide problems and smoke is not normal, at least for all those who actually change their oil.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jpwilly

Mobil 1 is probably the one of the best motor oils made. I'm not here to get on a soap box regarding Mobile 1 Oil BUT It's reccommended in many many high end vechicles for a reason. The full synthetic extended life is tested to fully beat dinousar juice in longevity because it breaks down much more slowley from heat basically the synthetic polymers are more stable and offer more lubrication and cleaning. What's funny is that you go on to suggest I used synthetic oil just with more frequent oil changes but left out what awesome oil that should be since Mobile one sucks so bad! The oil may or may not be the culprit but if it could have played a part in valve seal failure I'd like to find out from someone with firsthand experiance. Could be that my 2nd Gen 2L SOHC's are prone to drop a valve guide as the old 3.0's did? Maybe its just a common Neon SXT thing to have smoke at startup?? That's the reason I posted here. Your colorful responce is wholey uneducated! I didn't pick up that you have much car knolwedge whatsoever.
Upon what driving conditions are these performance claims based? Normal or severe driving conditions?

These claims relate to all typical consumer driving conditions, excluding those mentioned below. In other words, if you drive under normal conditions and use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in your vehicle, the oil is guaranteed to protect your engine for 15,000 miles. We also recommend that drivers consult their owner’s manual while their vehicle is under warranty, and follow the guidelines set forth there. Additionally, we recommend that if consumers drive routinely in severe conditions that they follow the oil change interval recommended in their owner's manual for severe conditions. We define "severe conditions" as:
racing or commercial applications;
frequent towing or hauling;
extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or
excessive idling.

that is right from Mobil 1's own website... basically it says if you drive like a granny then this is the oil for you otherwise if you push the pedal to the metal here and there then this oil will NOT last and it SHOULD be changed at regular intervals... but hey what do i know right....? and if u had a valve seal leak you would have mannnnny more problems than just smoke comming from the exhaust... i also asked you a few questions that i think you failed to respond to but hey what do we care if your car explodes? i asked you if it just did it when the car was cold? and i also asked what color the smoke was... now if your color blind i can understand the problems you could have taking a look at what color the smoke is, or if your head wasn't wedged completely up your @$$ but hey w/e... and considering you aren't using Mobil 1's extended life oil filter which is what they suggest you use when you use their long life oil products as it provides much more protection over lets say your traditional $5-$10 FRAM oil filter... which specifically say on the box they come in that they are only to be used for 3000miles, but hey im not a car guy what would i know... right... i mean those engineers that sepnt ohhhhhhhh what lemme see here roughly 6 or more months research and testing on the filters determined that they should put a 3000 mile limit on the filter but what do they know i mean they only prolly have a masters in automotive, chemical and/or some other type of engineering field plus maybe what...? 10 years experience in their field...? what would they know i mean they only get paid like half a million bucks a year to sit on their *** and claim they know what they know...right? i mean with your PHD in being a complete a$$hole totally outweighs millions of dollars spent on research, development and manufacturing! with your expertise maybe you can diagnos your own problem without any of us here...? no considering i am studying to become an Industrial Engineer and i actually had an intership with mobil one where i helped one of their plants increase their production efficiency from 96% to 98.6% what would i know about their product?! I personally dont want to spend double the amount of money on THIER oil filter and THIER oil while i can use a synthetic oil that is generally cheaper and of the same initial quality... now lets see here... if you dont use their extended life oil filter, as soon as you cross the 3000 mile marker the oil filter you put on... in your case a FRAM oil filter... is already FULL of debris and impurities from the burning of a hydrocarbon we call FUEL, thus it is no longer working at its peak efficiency, and the longer you keep it on there the more and more it fills up until it actually allows many of the debris it is meant to filter out back into your engine which will cause your engine to SMOKE excessively.... i've dont the research, and i've read most of their website as well as many other documents that describe the pros and cons of their new EXTENDED LIFE formula.... so if you are in any way a performance minded driver, i would say you are a complete moron for using a long life oil in your car, not even mentioning that you didn't even take the time to read the back of the bottle and see that they suggest you use thier oil filter specifically meant for their oil and the extended life it provides.

oh and i hope you know that the Mobil One Extended Life formula was actually marketed towards large automotive companies to SAVE THEM MONEY... the less oil changes they have to do they less they have to pay their mechanics and the less they spend on buying Oil products, so if they can say "OH YEA! Come back to the dealer after your break-in miles and we'll put this new oil in there for you and we will see you at 15,000 miles to change it for you!" yea i would think that the automotive company would actually be saving TONS of money most likely upwards of a few hundred million... i mean we all know that your PHD alone rakes in that kind of money on a weekly basis and that we should all bow down to the extensive knowledge of a product you used incorrectly in the first place......

if you dont want to answer my initial questions then don't i frankly don't give a rats a$$ if you do or dont, but if by some chance you do here is a few more for you:

1) how long ago did you put your magical oil in along with your uber l33t oil filter from k-mart?
2) you said it makes "smoke signals" when you start it up... now is that a cold start up or just when you start it up in general?
3) what color is the smoke? (blue, grey?)
4) what is the average temp. outside when you start the car? (if it is very cold out then the choke could be stuck open causing...yes you guessed it... smoke!)

i may have more questions depending on your answer to the above... and im fairly sure that the engineers at dodge would have fixed the valve guide problem they had with the old motors.... and for a car at 70,000 miles it is fairly common for gaskets to go bad and cause burning of oil... but what would i know my car only has 79,000 miles and smokes fairly well as most cars with that many miles on them do... but then again i know it smokes as much as it does b/c the H20 and CO bi products inside the exhaust system builds up quickly and is hotter than the outside air thus causing what looks like smoke but is actually a type of steam...... kinda like when you can see fog lifting off a pond when it is fairly cold out b/c the water is warmer than the air. so the next time you feel like completely disrespect someone that is just stating his educated opinion why dont you just ask for some facts polietly and hope that maybe he/she has a solution to your problem... specially before you go off spending way more money than you may need.....thats about all i have to say thanks... oh and here is the website i refered to: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ance_FAQs.aspx

Quick Reply: Smoke at Startup