2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Why my neon pwns...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:05 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why my neon pwns...

Well, while I wish it had more power...last night I drove from Columbus,oh back to grand rapids, MI on one tank. My gas light didn't even come on until I pulled into my driveway. To be more precise, I filled my tank up in maryville (i think..lol), about 20 min from columbus. Then drove around town for awhile and then came back. But I had 360 miles on my speedometer when I got home and my gas light had just come on. I'm estimating I was averaging around 40mpg overall. And some toolbag tried to race me last night at around 1am on the highway, however I was too tired to bother. It was a 240 or some other 2 door coupe, and it looked like hell. Anyhow, I'm just rollin at 70mph with my cruise on and this douche pulls up next to me and just sits there for a second and then he downshifts and slowly takes off. He had a huge melon shooter on the back as well. Well he's way up the road, well he slows down and waits for me and pulls along side me again. And does the same thing, the funny thing is he hardly even pulled away from me when I wasn't trying. I probably would have wasted that fool had I felt like wasting my gas. But his car was in so rough of shape I didn't even bother.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:18 PM
TN.Frank
Professional
Default RE: Why my neon pwns...

Yep, one thing I DO love about my Neon is the gas mileage. You can go a long way on a tank of gas if you keep your foot out of it.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:29 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Well the funny thing is...I can beat on my neon and it still gets around 28mpg. The only way I've found to drastically kill the mileage on it is to take it to the drag strip and strictly drag race. Which it does for obvious reasons....

Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 PM
AirJordan

ORIGINAL: LowSlowNeon

Well the funny thing is...I can beat on my neon and it still gets around 28mpg. The only way I've found to drastically kill the mileage on it is to take it to the drag strip and strictly drag race. Which it does for obvious reasons....
Exactly! I average 27-28 if I drive hard in mixed driving and 30+ if I take her easy. I still wanna go on a little road trip and see what see can do on the highway..

Old 01-14-2008, 03:21 PM
swimmer07
Veteran

****, i get between 20 and 25 on just highway.. granted its hwy 14 in Arkansas, but still.. shouldnt i get better gas mileage than that??

Old 01-14-2008, 04:01 PM
AirJordan

ORIGINAL: swimmer07

****, i get between 20 and 25 on just highway.. granted its hwy 14 in Arkansas, but still.. shouldnt i get better gas mileage than that??
5sp or auto? Seems like you should be getting a little better than that.
Maybe do a little tune up.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Adionik
Champion

I never get good gas mileage, i'm sure it's my tranny and the mods probably don't help.

Hey, what speed is it that the engine supposedly has "less strain" and uses less gas? I went 80 at 3k and it drank gas like there was no tomorrow.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

Mine gets around 23-25 mpg in town. But last September when my wife and I went to Myrtle Beach, round trip was something like 33-34 mpg. And one leg between fillups I hit 38 mpg. Still we left Ohio, about 20 minutes south of Canton and the Pro Football Hall OF Fame, we didn't have to fill up until we got into Virginia at the gas stations a few miles pastpast the welcome center. Not too bad. Could be better, could be a whole lot worse.

L8R,
Matt D.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:31 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

I've found that my neon gets optimum gas mileage cruisin at around 55-60mph in 5th gear. I still get good mileage between 70-80...but it tails off to the lower 30s mpg.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:46 PM
AirJordan

ORIGINAL: Adionik

I never get good gas mileage, i'm sure it's my tranny and the mods probably don't help.

Hey, what speed is it that the engine supposedly has "less strain" and uses less gas? I went 80 at 3k and it drank gas like there was no tomorrow.
Im guessing around 2500, give or take. Like lowslow said prob 55-60 mph.

Quick Reply: Why my neon pwns...