Neon 2.0 bad gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by buddhaman
Here's a site that tells you which gas stations in the U.S. and Canada have ethanol free gas. http://pure-gas.org/
Nice link, though in this hippie state, there is no such things as ethanol free gas. I'd imagine there might be a handful of stations that probably have some higher octane only.
Good link for everyone else that lives in the free world.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Megaputz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a difference! On the 8 mile round trip to autozone I burned about 1/8 of a tank of gas. Today I drove 45-50 miles on the same amount of fuel after installing Ngk V Power Copper plugs. I'm sold!!! Well worth the $9.85.
So very glad it was such a simple fix so I can enjoy driving my little bomber again. Thanks to all of you at dodge forum once again.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:57 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It's amazing what proper plugs do, huh? Glad to hear the Neon is all better!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 AM
MaleNurse

Originally Posted by darthroush
Nice link, though in this hippie state, there is no such things as ethanol free gas. I'd imagine there might be a handful of stations that probably have some higher octane only.
Good link for everyone else that lives in the free world.
If you can't find ethanol free gas you need to find some StarTron additive. I've been running it in my Ram since I got it because our Gas stations aren't always forth coming avout ethanol. I may start in my Neon now.

I have replaced spark plugs with recommended plugs, replaced IAC valve and had a motorvac ran on my injectors and had transmission serviced, I still can't get above 22mpg. Its been a year or two on the plugs but only about 10,000 miles, I may go out and check them today.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

StarTron seems like an overpriced fuel stabilizer. What am I missing?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 PM
MaleNurse

It supposedly contains an enzyme that eliminates ethanol to prevent it from causing damage. I found it for $7 at academy sports in the marine section. It treats 125 gallons. Check their website four more info. Also when I checked my plugs two of the plug tubes had popped up allowing oil in. Good times! Somewhat easy fix.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

IDK. I don't have ethanol problems, as they put it (and list). Sounds to me like it's just going to cost me more to fill up my car if I keep adding it.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Megaputz
Amateur

I'm no where near any of the cities on the list. I travel to Albany NY allot... no listings there and closest listing was Utica which is 60-70 miles in opposite direction. Fuel additives will just add to price of gas which has shot up to $3.81 a gallon.

Car did start acting up again... Thought spark plug tubes were leaking again, bucking and stalling, always at same intersection though and not sporadically like before. Push car to shoulder, pop hood look stuff over... bang head against steering wheel for a few minutes and car would run for another 20 miles for rest of commute. No codes than halfway to work it happened again... Code 43 did finally pop up and car would not start at all. Was so pissed... if I had a gun I would have shot the jerks honking at me. Then I looked at the crankshaft position sensor more closely I noticed the red locking tab was missing. Kid apparently felt there was no need for one of those. Pushed it down and car started right up. Removed, cleaned connection cleaned it and slid small zip tie in the slot where the red locking tab is spos to go and it ran great all the way to work and home with no issues. On the way home engine light turned off. Hoping I'm good for now. $87 (with tax) for aftermarket CPS so I'm HOPING it is just the loose connection. From the splices and the missing tab I believe he already replaced the crankshaft position sensor and did it half assed like everything else.
The magnetic field from a stop light was causing the car to die? That is so weird but can understand the magnetic field interfering a weak CPS sending faulty signal to computer.
REDRUM....REDRUM...

Old 02-24-2012, 01:37 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The magnetic field of a stop light (I'm guessing you are talking about the things in the pavement that detect when a car is there)? Highly doubt it, or it should die whenever you drive over one. Perhaps there's extra vibration at idle while stopped and it would eventually wiggle the connector loose enough.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 AM
MaleNurse

IF your car is not designed for Ethanol (flexfuel) and you can't buy ethanol free gas you really should look into something to add to the fuel, ethanol gas is around $.25 a gallon cheaper here. Average cost of a bottle of StarTron is $12 which will treat 125 gallons of fuel. Which is about $.096 per gallon. I have a 12 gallon tank meaning this will last for 10 tanks. So that averages to $1.20 per tank. Over time Ethanol causes corrosion, reuced engine life due to it burning hotter than regular gasoline. It also can have water in it because Ethanol has a natural affinity for water. 1 gallon of Ethanol blended gasoline can absorb up to 4 tsp of water.

You don't have to buy an additive, but Ethanol is creeping up on me here in Kansas and its only a matter of time until they stop having regular fuel.

Quick Reply: Neon 2.0 bad gas mileage