2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

O2 Sensor "Break-In?"

Old 01-14-2005, 02:04 AM
2004sxt
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sensor "Break-In?"

Just curious to anyone who has ever switched out their O2 Sensor in their Neon's... did it take a few fill-ups before the O2 Sensor was "broken-in?" I just had a new O2 Sensor put in by the dealer just 2 days ago because the check engine light came on and now they said everything's good and that the check engine light will come back on but to just "burn a few fill ups" before bringing it back because it "should" go off after a couple of fill-ups. This may be just me but it sounds a bit fishy that they had the car for a whole entire day and a half and couldn't do anything to the car except say that I should keep driving it and it should go away. I mean yeah the car seems to drive fine, I just want the ****ing light to go away.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:09 AM
showorgo?
Default RE: O2 Sensor "Break-In?"

my 96 has the same problem. i just havent got it fixed yet. need $$$. the light is annoying as hell

Old 01-14-2005, 02:25 AM
2004sxt
Veteran

I just found this thanks to Google:

The Kirk header has bungs for both our front and rear O2 sensors. However, if the rear O2 sensor is hooked up into the header, it'll activate the OBD-II system, which triggers the check engine light. This doesn't affect the engine's performance, but may cause problems with an emissions test. We recommend relocating the rear O2 sensor just behind the cat to keep the OBD-II system happy.
Would this apply to my 04' Neon? The thing about having two O2 Sensors and relocating it behind the cat? Any feedback would be much obliged.

Props to -> http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...2scc_projneon/

Old 01-14-2005, 01:13 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

If your car is stock, I would say No. The car was engineered the way it is thnat it will work correctly. My 04 has now problems like that. As far as the break in. I don't see that being correct. Think about it. the O2 sensors are new when you first get the car, so if that was the case there would be the check engine ligt on when yuo first get the car.

Old 01-15-2005, 03:36 AM
ewetho
All Star

OK here goes

O2 sensors do not need to be broken in as they are a to remain cleanto allow the to function. The sense the oxygen in the air in relation to the outside world. This tells the PCM how much fuel to air there is(does not detect fuel). The second O2 sensor for all 96 and later and all vehicles before this that are OBDII is to monitor Catalitic converter efficientcy.

The Cat uses the Platinum, Palladium, and Strontium it hink it was too convert the exhaust gasses to CO2, H2O, and not NOx and CO. This makes for cleaner exhaust fumes that our planet and US can deal with. So if you pull the sencond O2 you will get a Check engine as the computer can no longer tell if the cat is functioning or even there.

Old 01-15-2005, 03:41 AM
roadrnnr
Rookie

I think you better find a new Dealer to take it to.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:38 AM
2004sxt
Veteran

HOLY ****! someone actually replied to one of my questions about my car without a "i donno" type of answer!

... well to follow up (anyone who cares) After the 5th try at Dhymler Shyster I took it to a different dealership where within literally an hour of which took my dealerboat 5 days of a simple ****ing diagnostic test... they've come to discover that it is merely a bad fuel injector on the 3rd cylinder and needs to be replaced before I can drive it again. I suppose the injector isn't giving the proper amount of fuel to the engine and is causing it to misfire (hence the code) and there'fore causing the O2 sensor to go crazy because of the uncommon mixture of fuel into the cylinder. Hrmm... never going back to the ****-head Chrysler Tech's again[8D] Hopefully this fixes everything and I won't have to come onto an un-witting forum to convey my hatred towards the CEL again!

The ****ty part of the deal is that I can't pick up my car until' Monday since the problem was discovered late Friday evening and the parts needed to be shipped on the next business day from Detroit. But oh well, what's two days out of my life for a lifetime of driving in my fixed up Neon

Old 01-16-2005, 04:48 AM
casper
Legend

Glad you figured it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O2 Sensor "Break-In?"